1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible to hook vcr up straight to tv instead of receiver??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible to hook my vcr up directly to my wega TV instead of the receiver and have the sound come out of the surround sound speakers?? The reason I ask is that my receiver won't switch between s-video and componets, so I have to hook everything to the receiver the same way. My tv, dvd, satellite and ps2 all have s-video jacks. If I can't figure a way around this, I have to hook it all up using componets or buy a vcr. I don't want to buy a vcr because I hardly ever use it.

Thanksj

Mike

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

If I read your post correctly, yes you can. Hook the composite out(yellow video RCA) from the VCR to the TV's composite input(yellow RCA) and hook the L&R audio out from the VCR to an unassigned 2 CH Analog input, i.e. Video 1,2,3,aux, etc.

Or if you have limited inputs on your receiver, you can get a composite/s-video switchbox from Radio Shack.

3. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Of course it's possible, and in some cases preferential to do it that way. I don't run any video through my receiver. (The down side to doing it this way is that I also don't get any on-screen menus from the receiver on my tv.)

I'm reading between the lines .. can I assume that the VCR probably has a coax in/out and probably audio L/R and a yellow rca video output? If that's correct, then the rest of this can work for you:

In this case, you can run a 75 ohm coax cable (the same type you would use for a cable tv connection) from the coax output to the tv input (probably input 1 or 2 or something like that on the Wega), and connect the audio l/r from the vcr to the receiver using standard rca stereo cables. Now you can watch the vcr with sound directly from the tv, or turn the tv volume down and listen to the sound via the receiver, or both.

You can also run the video cable to another input on the tv, and you might get a slightly better picture, but in this arrangement, sound will be only via the receiver.

If you ever decide to upgrade the vcr, you might consider one that has one or more s-video inputs and outputs.

-David

4. Michael Cook

I just want to make sure I understand you guys. First, If I didn't exlpain well, my receiver cant switch mixed video sources. So all video connections to the receiver must be all s-video or all composites.

Now, you guys are saying to run the audio (red and white)to the receiver and the video (yellow or coax) directly to the Tv. And this will allow me to use the s-video connections on the ps2, satellite and dvd all linked directly to the receiver? And if I wanted to watch a vcr tape, I would just use my tv/video button on my TV instead of the reciever. Makes sense if I am understanding you correctly.

Now for a side question. I see some people hook their dvd up directly to the tv and connect it to the receiver via a digital coaxial cable. Is this the best way to go?

What is the best way to hook up my TV to the receiver? IT is a wega and has 1 s-video connection and also has a monitor out (audio and video) and just an audio out (L and R). I thought the best way was to use an s-video from the tv to the "tv monitor" on the receiver. But if I do this, I will have to hook up the dvd s-video directly to the receiver instead of the tv since I only have 1 s-video on the tv.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know everything before I begin hooking all of this up.

Thanks

Mike

5. David X

You pretty much have it.

Basically, you are connecting all your s-video inputs into the receiver, then the s-video monitor output on the receiver into one of the s-video inputs on the tv. That gives you video for all your s-video inputs, using the receiver to switch between the inputs. You would probably use INPUT 1 on the TV for this.

For the vcr, run the coax cable from the vcr into the antenna input on the tv, allowing sound and picture with that single connection. You can also run the composite video out (the yellow rca connector) into one of the tv inputs (not the same input you used for the s-video input, perhaps input 2 on the tv?) for a slightly better picture quality, but no sound just using the tv. Run audio l/r vcr outputs into the vcr or aux input on the receiver. This method just gives you more flexibility and more choices.

You would connect the dvd player directly to the tv using the component video outputs on the dvd player (usually labelled y, cr, cb) into the corresponding inputs on the tv to get the best possible signal into the wega.

For the dvd audio signal, you would use either the coax or optical output from the dvd player (it usually doesn't matter which one you use .. the choice is usually dictated by your dvd player and/or receiver connections and capabilities, but if you have a choice, then its usually a toss up .. I use digital coax for mine, but optical is fine too) and run the right kind of cable into a digital input on the receiver. Without a digital connection into the receiver you won't be able to listen to DD 5.1 or DTS dvds. (Yes, there are other ways to do this, but in general, this is probably the right choice for you.) If you have a sat receiver with an optical output, you also want to run that into your receiver using a different digital input.

You don't need to run audio output from the tv back to the receiver.

-David

6. David X

Oh .. your tv doesn't have component video inputs (y, cr, cb) for a dvd player? Are you sure?
    Then just run the s-video output from the dvd player into the receiver and start saving up for a new tv. [​IMG]
    -David

7. David X

The other way to do it is to run the vcr video out rca cable into a video input on the receiver and run both an s-video and a composite video cable from the receiver to the tv.

-David

8. Michael Cook

David, My TV has componet inputs. MY DVD player doesnt!! IT is an old DVD player. All it has on the back is your auido/video jacks (yellow, red, white) and digital out. That is my delima. The TV has a s-video jack but only one. So do I use that 1 s-video jack to go from the TV to the receiver, or do I use it for the dvd player?

9. Michael Cook

I could hook the dvd straight to the tv using the componet cables (yellow, red, or white) or hook it to the receiver via the s-video cable. THat is my only option if I am using the s-video cable on the tv going to the receiver.

10. David X

huh? Does the dvd player have s-video out or not? I thought this was about your vcr.

If it does, just run all the s-video, including the dvd player through the receiver. Run the digital output from the dvd player into the appropriate digital input on the receiver.

If not, you can still do video switching using your receiver, but you have to connect an s-video and a composite rca-type video cable from the receiver to the monitor as I stated above. Or you can run them directly to inputs on the tv if you have enough of them.

If you need any more help, just send me email.

I think I understand your confusion. You can hook up different sources via different cable types through your receiver. However, it sounds like your receiver won't convert a composite video signal input to an s-video signal for output. This is not uncommon. All that means is that you have to run both an s-video AND a composite video connector from the receiver to the tv. You can mix source cable types, no problem. You just have to make sure you select the correct input on the tv with this situation. So, the TV probably has input 1 and input 2. Connect the s-video cable to input 1 and the composite cable to input 2. (You can try connecting both to the same input, but that might not work.) When watching an s-video source, select input 1 on the tv. When watching a composite video source, select input 2 on the tv if you have to use separate inputs.

-David

11. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

David,

On my new system I have encountered the same problem with my VCR as it does not have a s-video cable. I have run a video cable to video 2 on the tv for the vcr, everything works except I can not seem to record any other signals on the vcr, most notably my satalite. Is this because I am running a seperate cable to the tv where as everything else goes through the receiver.

12. Michael Cook

David,

My dvd does have S-video, but what I wast trying to explain is that I cant hook it straight to the tv because the tv has only 1 s-video jack, and that will be used to connect the receiver and tv. The original question was about my vcr and I figured that out, but then asked about hooking the dvd up.

I am leaning toward just buying a vcr that has a s-video jack and that would simplify everything for me. Then I would just run everything straight to the reciever. Does anyone know of a decent inexpensive vcr with s-video jacks??

Thanks for all your help David.

13. David X

You're welcome Michael.

Greg: Do you have anything plugged into any of the "IN" jacks on the vcr? (You have to feed it a signal in order for it to have something to record. The "out" jacks send the signal out to the other components.)

There's lots of different ways to do this, depending on your equipment and what you are trying to do. Send me email and I'll try to help.

-David

14. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I have the the "in" on the vcr coming from the receiver, I have the out going to the tv. All my componets(dvd, sat, pl2)are using the jacks on the receiver, but I am just geting a black screen when I record.

15. Michael Cook

Greg, I may be wrong, but should't you have the in and out jacks of the vcr going to your receiver? Have you tried that?

16. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

17. Michael Cook

Sean,

The receiver can't switch multiple video sources together. So I have to use all s-video hookups to the receiver or all composite hookups (just video). I can't mix and match. My VCR doesn't have a s-video jack and I was just wondering how to hook it up straight to the TV. Does this make sense?

18. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Micheal,

as I understand it, I have a s-video cord that goes from the reciever to the tv. I have a composite(regular rca) cord that connects to the tv since I have been told that you need to have an s-video cable if that is your connection cable type to the tv, in other words mixing a composite with a s-video will not transfer the signals unless your receiver can handle that, I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 and have not heard that this is an option.

19. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Mike:

All your gear, except for your VCR, has SVideo. No problem. Radio Shack sells a nice little adapter that converts RCA (composite) to SVideo, and it goes for $20. Get the adapter and run your VCR to your Receiver just like all your other gear.

Rich B.

20. Michael Cook

Thanks Rich!! That would definitely be the easiet way. According to the manual, I hook the vcr input to the receiver output jacks. And then another cable from the receiver input jacks to the vcr output jacks. So I would think that I need to buy 2 of the convertors??