Possible To Hook Up Guitar to HT ??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chuck C, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Is it possible to hook up an electric guitar to a home theater? has anyone ever tried? how's it sound?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is possible, but you need a preamp of some sort. Back in the old days you could use a Rockman, today something like a POD would work and sound decent (www.line6.com).

Without some kind of amp simulator it will sound pretty crappy. Guitar amps and speakers and hi-fi are worlds apart.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Not to mention the fact that even with a preamp, you seriously risk running excessive level into inputs designed for line level components.

I would say a cheap guitar amp will always be preferable to the passing guitar noodler rather than risking toasting your HT gear.

-Vince

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

sound advice....i was just toying with the idea of 5 channel stereo jam sessions!

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I should have qualified that the preamps I was referring to were line level out, not ones designed to use with a guitar amp.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Possible, but very risky, coz of the reasons stated above...

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It's actually not risky at all IF you have a -10 line level out. You wouldn't be able to do 5.1 though, only stereo at best.

8. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I have a Digitech RP-1 processor with RCA's out and have hooked it up to my HT. Sounded pretty good even with my lousy speakers.