Possible To Hook Up Guitar to HT ??

Chuck C

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Is it possible to hook up an electric guitar to a home theater? has anyone ever tried? how's it sound?

Jeff Ulmer

Producer
Senior HTF Member
It is possible, but you need a preamp of some sort. Back in the old days you could use a Rockman, today something like a POD would work and sound decent (www.line6.com).

Without some kind of amp simulator it will sound pretty crappy. Guitar amps and speakers and hi-fi are worlds apart.

Vince Maskeeper

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Not to mention the fact that even with a preamp, you seriously risk running excessive level into inputs designed for line level components.

I would say a cheap guitar amp will always be preferable to the passing guitar noodler rather than risking toasting your HT gear.

-Vince

Chuck C

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
sound advice....i was just toying with the idea of 5 channel stereo jam sessions!

Jeff Ulmer

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I should have qualified that the preamps I was referring to were line level out, not ones designed to use with a guitar amp.

NickSo

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Possible, but very risky, coz of the reasons stated above...

Jeff Ulmer

Producer
Senior HTF Member
It's actually not risky at all IF you have a -10 line level out. You wouldn't be able to do 5.1 though, only stereo at best.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I have a Digitech RP-1 processor with RCA's out and have hooked it up to my HT. Sounded pretty good even with my lousy speakers.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigguz