possible to get progressive signal to tv without progressive scan dvd player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Albert Noel, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

Basically, i've got the chance to buy a Denon DVD-5000 at a very good price. I've done my research on it and have found that it doesnt have progressive output. The RPTV my wife and i are looking at will display progressive scan signals.

How can i get the best possible image out of this player using both the player and the tv to their full potential?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but will i need some kind of line doubler to get the same effect?

I dont know much about progressive scan and i've searched and haven't come up with the info i'm looking for.

[​IMG]

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Depending on the quality of the set's upconversion a progressive scan player isn't necessarily a must have. Sony crt based rptvs have very good upconversion, still do 480p with or without 3/2 pulldown rather than 540p/1080i.

A separate line doubler between a non-progressive player and an HD capable tv will probably cost several times what a really good progressive scan player will cost.

3. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

This is a good question. I'm planning on purchasing the Philips 30PW850H 30inch HDTV and I have a Toshiba SD2805 5 disc dvd player that's not progressive. I really don't want to buy a new dvd player, especially one without a changer so I was trying to stick with my current one. Would the picture quality be significantly better with the TV coupled with a progressive scan player or would the TV upconvert the image anyways, therefore negating the need for the new dvd player. Some info on this would definitely be appreciated.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Like Steve alluded to, a lot of displays will upconvert (upscale?) 480i to 480p. You need to look at the documentation for your display to be sure.

For example, I have a Toshiba 32" CRT direct view. HDTV capable. Mine automatically upscales (up converts?) all 480i sources to 480p.

5. John S

John S Producer

No matter what... If your not feeding the set via Component Video cables, your not going to get even close to the same quality. Even feeding it 480i via component cables and letting the display do the progressive scan is enough better than svideo, an svideo connection can't even compete even if your display progressively scans it.

6. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Yeah I learned that when I finally bought the TV. I hooked it up with S video and was about to return the damn TV. I had to run back to the store and buy some component cables. It looks great now. I also saw an ad in Brandsmart for a Toshiba SD5915 progressive scan player that I'm seriously considering. My TV upconverts interlaced video so I want to know if the improvement in picture quality is worth getting a progressive scan dvd player or should I just continue letting the TV do the upconverting. Also, does anyone know if this player uses the Faroudja chip or not?

7. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

If you've got a HDTV it really pays to forego component/PS players and spend a little more to get a player that has DVI or HDMI output. The player is going to output an upscaled HD picture and it's going to look a lot better than PS over component.