What's new

Possible to fix blue corners on a Sony direct view TV? (1 Viewer)

Richard.J

Grip
This is an entry-level Sony Wega 27" TV that I bought a few years ago. I played with the service menu for probably a few hours getting the geometry to a point where I was happy with it, but there was still one thing about the television that bugged me. There was a lot of blue in three of the corners, and a little red in the lower left corner, the upper left corner being the worst. I just shrugged it off for a while...

Recently I got a 34" Sony XBR HDTV (which took a LOT less tweaking to get it how I like it ;)), and I put my 27" in the kitchen/dining room. See, I like to kick back and watch some TV while I eat, but I'm a bit spoiled by the XBR now, and the blue/red corners is bad enough to bother me on any lighter scenes.

Changing the color temperature setting to 'warm' doesn't help, no does playing with the standard color controls. I was wondering if it's possible to fix this without paying a professional to do so?

Thanks.

Sounds like you need to go over it with a degausing coil. Unless your menu has a degausing option or there is a button for such on the set?

Richard.J

Grip
If it does degauss on startup, the effect isn't strong enough to fix the problem. There doesn't seem to be a manual degauss, either.

I read up a bit on degaussing coils; perhaps I might take that route.

Richard.J

Grip
Jack: Actually, yes the TV used to be sitting next to some old Pioneer CS-D9000's (3-way floor standing with 12" woofers). They never seemed to affect the picture unless they were playing at far higher volume than I'd normally listen to them at, so I figured they weren't permanently affecting the screen. Perhaps I was wrong. :P However, I'm using a little Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system with it now that I know is shielded, so the problem seems to be permanent unless I do something about it. :thumbsdown:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Richard, manually degaussing that set probably is useless. Discoloration caused by magnets fast becomes permanent damage. I know. It's happened to me. JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks