possible to disable Keiga subsonic filter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brad Dixon, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if it would be possible to disable(or change) the rumble/subsonic filter on the Keiga amp? I have one I'm using with my sealed Tumult currently. Was planning on getting 2 18" pr's from Kyle and making a new box for my Tumult.

I want to remove the rumble filter so I can tune the box down around 15hz. The Keiga filter is centered around 17hz so it be a waste to tune lower(I think) that's why I wanted to remove or change the filter.

I'm going wait until after CES before making any changes though. I want to see what this Adire sub is that's been mentioned. If it turns out to be to pricey or not a good idea for hometheater I'll either change the Keiga rumble filter or sell it and buy another amp when I get the PR's.

I'm not sure how much if any difference it would make between say tuning to 15hz compared to 18hz. It seems the EBS Tempest are tuned to ~15hz. So unless I'm missing something is there a reason I shouldn't shoot for that low of a tuning frequency?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

OK I admit it, I was missing something lol. I don't know what I was doing before but I just got done re-running the numbers in unibox for an ebs Tempest and a 150L Tumult tuned to 18hz.
    The Tumult shows 3-4db more output down to 20hz then drops off pretty quick. Below 15hz the ebs Tempest has slightly more output.

Feeling pretty dumb at the moment lol,
    Brad

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

For the small gains you receive from tuning that low you are sacrificing much more up above. I suggest tuning it at about 18Hz.
    I'm not sure how hard it would be to defeat the subsonic but I'm pretty sure is more than changing a simple resistor such as on some amps.