What's new

Possible SVS upgrade...difference at low volumes? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, here is my dilemma. I'm considering purchasing one of the new SVS 25-31PCi subs. I would be upgrading from a 7 year old Mirage BPS-100, which is a bipole sub with two 6" woofers ported with a 100 watt amp.
What I would be doing would be giving my Mom the Mirage for her HT (she presently doesn't have a single sub at all) and I would use the 25-31 for my HT.
I rarely listen to movies within 15 db of reference. I live in an apartment and can rarely if ever "open up" my system. I do plan to move into a primary house in the next 12 months, but my question is this.
At low volume levels (15-20db below reference), what dissernable difference will I perceive between the SVS and my Mirage? I'm actually pretty happy with how my Mirage integrates with my main speakers for music and I am wondering if the "upgrade" will be marginal at best.
I'm thinking this might be more a case of "upgraditis" than being altruistic and doing something nice for Mom:D
Thanks for the advice.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Evan;

I think you will notice a difference with the SVS, even at low volumes. You may not be able to appreciate the full power of the sub until you move out of the appartment, but the bass you hear will probably be cleaner, louder, and better controlled. Even at low volumes, I find that my SVS fills out the bottom portion of the sound spectrum nicely. I doubt two 6" drivers and a 100-watt amp will offer the same quality of bass as a 25-31PCi.

Bradley Schmidt

Auditioning
I can't comment on your specific old sub, as I was using the "bass module" of my old Bose Acoustimass 15 speakers. However, I usually run at -15 to -25, and the bass from my SVS 16-46PCi is impressive. It's true that running louder will move your chair around the room. Even at lower volumes, the realism added to movies and organ music was quite unexpected. Adding the SVS has been the best thing I've ever done for movies. You'll definitely feel the really low bass. It's not anything tacky, but it's quite an unusual feeling.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'm in the same stuation as Evan and Sheldon, but my current sub doesn't even match Evans. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks