What's new

Possible Seinfeld DVD info (1 Viewer)

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
According to this page, it's rumoured that Seinfeld is going to be released on DVD in April 2002....2 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!! Can this be true? Have our prayers finally been answered? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Derek

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This sight is also clinging to the hope of a Seinfeld movie.

Unfortunatley, I'm guessing this is just an overly optimistic fan site.

Of course, if it were true, I'd buy the series on DVD in a second.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I cannot imagine this not getting blockbuster sales. Imagine, watching your favorite episode, uncut, anytime you want. Hope this is true.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I missed the first few episodes when it aired here in Belgium. This was half a year ago.

I've been collecting them off the net since then, in crappy 37Mb formats. Horrible, yet funny!

Hope this comes out soon, so I can save my download-capacity for the other series that won't air here for the first 5 years.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Let's hope it's true, though I'm not so sure about the veracity of a site that also reports on the "Seinfeld movie."
If it IS true, however... DIBS ON SEASON 4! :D

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
You guys are basing this on:

» Seinfeld rumered to be released on DVD in April 2002 !!!
This is the least plausible thing ever. I want Seinfeld on DVD as much as the next person, but the show is making too much in syndication for Castle Rock/Columbia-TriStar to jeopardize that. Why do you think Fox has been dragging their feet with The Simpsons sets and released Futurama only in R2? Money! That is the only reason.

And this site reported that on February 2. They also have a poll asking how much would you pay for all the Seinfeld episodes on DVD.

There is simply no weight that should be given to this rumor, since NO DVD of the caliber of a Seinfeld box set is released after being first announced in just weeks.

And the show won't come to DVD anytime soon, anyway. I thought you guys would know better than to put ANY faith into a site like this.

If you want, I can start a page that says "NewsRadio coming to DVD next week!" and that won't make it any more true.

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
Luke wrote

QUOTE]This is the least plausible thing ever. I want Seinfeld on DVD as much as the next person, but the show is making too much in syndication for Castle Rock/Columbia-TriStar to jeopardize that. Why do you think Fox has been dragging their feet with The Simpsons sets and released Futurama only in R2? Money! That is the only reason.[/quote]

Yeah, I had been thinking about this a while back. As we see more and more television on DVD I was trying to figure out what was stopping networks from releasing pretty much everything. This seems like a plausible explanation; but how does Friends fit into all of this. Not only have they released all of that Best of Friends stuff, season sets are due to come out. Seinfeld is sydication king; but Friends has got to be pretty damn strong as well. In fact, Friends seems like a worse candidate, since it's still on the air. Thoughts?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what to think of "Friends." They finally have changed plans so that more than 24 episodes are out on DVD, but will they take their time with each season like Fox is doing? Maybe, we'll see. It does provide an opposing line of thinking to the other shows.

Joel C

Screenwriter
The weird thing is that The Simpsons isn't even in the top 30 syndicated shows, according to last weeks Entertainment Weekly. But King of the Hill is?

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I think this might be covered in another thread, but I'll repost here.

The April 2002 report is a rumor that popped up alt.tv.seinfeld early this year. Nearly every other day someone posts asking when the DVDs will appear. (Hell, I get emails from people asking ME about it once every couple of months since I have Seinfeld spec script out there! Weird.)So some poster began replying to these multiple posts with the answer of April 2002. That's probably where the web site gets it from. Or vice versa?

Also in a post on alt.tv.seinfeld which Im a little more inclined to believe the author stated he asked Jerry about it at a San Antonio show. Jerry said too much money was being made off of syndication rights for a release at this time.

There is mucho demand for this isnt there? Maybe someone will eventually give us what we want.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
my understanding was also that Seinfeld is cleaning up in syndies and therefore is in no rush to DVD.

Funny that Friends made it out first as it seems to be doing well enough in syndies itself.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Friends debuted on TBS back in September. I assume the network has since run through the entire series (through last season) once already. Thus, Warner is releasing the series to DVD. Seinfeld is scheduled to premiere on TBS this September. After it completes on full run on the network, I wouldn't be surprised to see a release of season 1 on DVD, so I'd say next spring is a possibility.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Friends vs Seinfeld:

Keep in mind how many seasons there are of Friends.

This probably makes a huge difference too, since there

are so many episodes that can be out there, and it will

take a lot longer to get all the seasons of Friends

on DVD than it would to get all the seasonn of Seinfeld.

As already stated, Seinfeld in synidication is

doing quite well, but they have such a limited number

of seasons to show, since Jerry pulled the plug while

the show was still fresh, and as good as ever.

(Too bad more shows don't follow that pattern of leaving

while at the top, but I would imagine the money is hard

to turn down.)

Mark

John CW

Supporting Actor
He was reportedly offered an obscene amount of money to do another series, but I can see where he was coming from: The last season just was not as funny or original as the others. It was quickly falling into a cliched trap where characterization and (reasonable) realism went out the window. George was just angry most of the time for no reason and there were some just plain absurd (as opposed to witty) moments (Frogger springs to mind).
Still, that's just my opinion and the show was an absolute classic which I'd LOVE to own on an extra laden DVD (how about a commentary with Larry David, Jerry and the real Kramer? The original trio! Plus a commentary with the cast!).
We can dream! :)
~ John

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind how many seasons there are of Friends.

This probably makes a huge difference too, since there

are so many episodes that can be out there, and it will

take a lot longer to get all the seasons of Friends

on DVD than it would to get all the seasonn of Seinfeld.
"Friends" will run a total of nine seasons when it concludes after 2002-03. That means roughly 220 episodes by the time they're done. "Seinfeld" lasted nine seasons and had a total of 179 episodes. That's not a HUGE difference, and since they used the same number of seasons, they should take the same amount of time to hit shelves. There's no reason to believe "Seinfeld" would come to DVD any more quickly - since they'll have the same number of seasons - and the existence of season boxes makes the NUMBER of episodes irrelevant - they'd work the same way...

Craig_T

Second Unit
It's not in the top 30 because The Simpsons is no longer in national syndication. Saying that the ancient Season 2 (from 1990-91) is being delayed due to syndication makes no sense.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
The funny thing is that they've been running season two epiosdes for the last week and a half or so...

"Homer vs. the 8th Commandment" was just on last night...

I'm also hoping for a "Seinfeld" DVD release some day, but in the meantime, syndication and Larry David's HYSTERICAL "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO can tide me over...

Users who are viewing this thread