What's new

Possible picture of Trek:TNG box set at German site.... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
and at the 2.2 and change exchange rate that works out to about $121. Boy, I sure hope Best Buy and the like come in a lot lower than that......

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ummm...I'm not so sure. I see a BIG problem with that picture.
The imprint on the case is of a badge communicator:
commVOY.gif

Unfortunately, it is NOT the style of badge communciator used on TNG. It's the kind that ORIGINATED on STV, AFTER TNG went off the air. DS9 converted to the new style after STV came on the air, and TNG converted in the movies. But during the 7 seasons that TNG was on-air, they never had the rectangular background. It was always the oval background.
If this rather nice-looking metal case represents TNG and is official, then it is a mistake on the badge imprint. If it represents the eventual case for STV, then there's no problem. If it represents DS9, then I still call bullshit.
More than likely it is a fake, but maybe not. Martin Blythe, are you monitoring? Any input on this one? If so, thanks.
And my thanks to Randy Duncan, high priest of Trek, for pointing it out to me when I showed him the pic. Randy lurks here, but hasn't posted...yet. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
I would be willing to pay up to $100 per season, if done right... (just don't tell that to Paramount
wink.gif
)
-Mike
------------------
God Bless America--and all people who stand for freedom.
patriot.gif

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Of course, Paramount could have said....."Well, since we're going to do sets for TNG, VOY, and DS9, then let's use one standard design using the most recent emblem, and not have to "design" multiple sets of case designs".....
or something to that effect....
Will be very cool nonetheless if it is real....

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The issue of the communicator aside, I have to say that is one nice looking set. I hope it's real and we get something similar. I wonder if season 2 will be distinguished from season 1 with a different departmental color on the seam.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Does each of these cases hold one disc, meaning each season is seven of these cases (and a hell of a lot of room on my shelf), or does each case enclose all seven discs (probably in an accordian foldout like the "X-Files" sets)?? Curious to hear your interpretations.
Not sure I like it. Cool looking, but I'm not even sure if they'll fit on my shelves. I don't think we've heard anything official on these sets, including number of discs. Hopefully Paramount will have an announcement soon.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It looks to me like each disc has its own plastic case, which then fits in the larger satchel-sized case. I wouldn't doubt this is the real deal, as Martin said something in another thread about "unique packaging."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Actually, a stronger possibility is that the thing on the left is a blow-up of a single disc's case, and the thing on the right shows how the seven discs will look together. I wonder if they will lock together. . . .

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Article detail
Finite it is official! Paramount brings STAR to TREK - TNG now also on DVD. and thus the collecting tanks for the seven relays not years need, give it each relay as a complete box in exclusive packing, which result in together again a large Sammeleinheit.
Each relay consists of 7 DVD with in each case 4 consequences and each quantity addition material. Details and pictures of the box follow shortly.
Packing can be still modified.
Length of the film: approx. 1260 min.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If I was not such a big a Trek fan I would probably boycott these releases. I am getting real put out by these nonstandard cases. Perhaps I should become a DVD case insert designer & throw these nonstandard cases in the trash where they belong.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If Woody is correct, I don't see the problem. Assuming the large case is true scale and the smaller cases are a reduced insert, it looks like a single season will be roughly the size of a typical dual amaray. Seven of those linked together won't take up too much space at all. Plus, it looks extremely durable.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
just don't tell that to Paramount
I think you just did... :)
Personally, I think the set(s) look great. Sure, some people will never like these special pakagings, but it'll take about five minutes before someone creates a custom cover. As for me, I love the diversity.
--Anders
------------------
http://www.dvd1138.com/
Ob me Deus cavet
Link Removed

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I am right there with you Jeff. I couldn't agree more.
------------------
smiley_spidey.gif
Frank
filmstrip.jpg
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
As long as the boxes are no taller and/or deeper than a standard keep case, there's no problem. They'll fit on my shelving, even if they look a little funky. It's really hard to get any sense of scale from that picture.
Taken on its own, having those 7 season boxes linked together like that is VERY cool looking.
Woody's interpretation is kind of what I was thinking/hoping. I can live with that. I mean, who am I kidding? I'm buying these no matter what!!
wink.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, it is NOT the style of badge communciator used on TNG. It's the kind that ORIGINATED on STV, AFTER TNG went off the air. DS9 converted to the new style after STV came on the air, and TNG converted in the movies. But during the 7 seasons that TNG was on-air, they never had the rectangular background. It was always the oval background.
Oh, boy, a chance to be a pathetic Star Trek geek!
Actually, that style communicator did show up in the TNG series a time or two in scenes set in "possible futures." So it was a self-fufilling prophecy. :) Kind of a neat touch.
I think Generations was first with the rectangle badges, then DS9 and VOY. The actual progression (as I remember it):
TNG S1, S2: Original jumpsuit uniforms, oval badges.
TNG S3-7: Two-piece uniforms, oval badges
DS9 S1-2: Turtleneck uniforms, oval badges
Generations: Turtleneck and two-piece uniforms (at random), rectangle badges
DS9 S3-S5: Turtleneck uniforms, rectangle badges
VOY S1-7: Turtleneck uniforms, rectangle badges
First Contact: Gray uniforms, rectangle badges
DS9 S5-S7: Gray uniforms, rectangle badges
Insurrection: Gray uniforms, rectangle badges
Correct me as needed.
Ryan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that style communicator did show up in the TNG series a time or two in scenes set in "possible futures."
Nope. The "future" style badgecoms that showed up in a couple of "possible-future" eps was the "arrowhead" set across 3 horizontal bars that were NOT connected at the sides to form a rectangle.
I can look up specific episode names and even give you screen captures tonight, if I have time to deal with it. I am also reasonably sure that I can rebut your sequence of costume change appearances; I don't think you have it entirely correct. But I'll have to research that later.
But right now I'm CERTAIN that the combadge shown in my post above and imprinted on the box was never, ever part of the TNG series during its 7-year TV run, not even in a "possible future" episode. Therefore, it is illogical for that imprint to appear on a TNG TV episode DVD case.
Live long and prosper,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks