What's new

Possible P.O.D DVD-A hybrid? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed at the bottom of today's post about P.O.D's new album being the first DVD-A hybrid if things work out. Does anyone know anything more about this?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

If this comes to be, I think it'll get truly interesting in the High-Res market.

It could be that WB is waiting for a larger scale release of titles until Hybrids hit the market. That would be quite good indeed, but it is only speculation on my part.

Regards,

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Didn't I hear the the idea of DVD-A hybrid was not panning out? Thanks for the link, Chris.

On the other hand, here's the only hybrid multi-channel SACD ever released by Warner Bros. (HK).

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that it did not work out as well (hybrid layer on same side). This brought up the flipper disk idea but there was a problem with the thickness not meeting standards. Maybe the thickness is the "if things work out."

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Danny,

Sort of.

The single sided hybrid was an effort by a label (MDG) and a pressing facility (Sonopress) that was brought up to the DVD WG-4 (aka DVD-Audio Working Group) and it was found to be too problematic.

The hybrid that is actively developed (and approved) by WG-4 is a "flipper" style, DVD on one side, CD on the other.

As to the WB (Hong Kong) SACD title, the parent corporation was not pleased that they went out on their own on this.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

The thickness is fully within acceptable CD thickness specifications. It is at the top end of what is considered acceptable for CD @ 1.45 - 1.47mm (vs 1.5mm maximum for the CD spec).

Regards,

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info John. When was the thickness ironed out? I saw my info right when the single side was rejected.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, John.

I am looking forward to those DVD-A. As for the HK Warner hybrid SACD, there's actually another title to be released after the Sammi Cheng SACD....it was mentioned in the promotional material inside other HK Warner SACD (single layer stereo), but I guess parent WB clammed down on those rebels in HK.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Danny,

That would be kind of like a Sony affiliated label releasing an DVD-Audio disc at this point in time ;)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks