Possible news on remastered Rathbone Holmes releases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Drake, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Hopefully an official announcment will be forthcoming, but one of the folks who runs the Scarlet Street magazine and website posted this today:

At Last! Rathbone and Bruce on DVD!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been waiting patiently to announce this exciting news for months, and at long last I got the okay . . .

MPI Home Video has acquired the rights to release on DVD the Sherlock Holmes series starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Starting in September, all 14 remastered films in the series will be released at the rate of two films per month, one film per disc. It hasn't yet been decided whether they'll appear in the order of the films' original theatrical release. (I'm pushing for it.) There's a possibility that the DVDs will contain extra features, but that, too, remains undecided.

I'll be providing the chapter stops and liner notes for all 14 films, as I've been doing for the 41 episodes of the Sherlock Holmes TV series starring Jeremy Brett.

Further information about both series will appear on the Scarlet Street Message Boards at www.scarletstreet.com as it becomes available . . .

Richard Valley

The above contradicts earlier published accounts indicating that CBS/King World would be the distributor. I'm concerned because of the flak MPI got over the quality of their Brett releases. I had thought that the films would be released two on one disk since they're so short. Hopefully the extra space will be put to good use.

Comments from anybody in a position to confirm or refute
    the above would be welcome.

Here's a link to the Holmes message board:

http://pub134.ezboard.com/fscarletstreetsherlockholmes

Paul

2. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    MPI is one of the worst studios with any major product. Two of my big pet peeves:

-Their release of Henry[​IMG]ortrait Of A Serial Killer has an awful audio sync problem in addition to mediocre picture quality. The audio sync problem isn't a minor thing, it's WAY out of sync yet they never fixed it.

-They released Help!, Magical Mystery Tour and Hard Days Night in compressed DD 2.0 sound quality with a low bit rate (192 if I remember correctly). The LD's sound was much better.

I have little faith that they will do the Rathbone films properly.

Jeff

3. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I am also concerned about "Becket" which they also own. I hope they do this film justice, eg. new anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer and discrete, properly transferred audio.

4. Marcia Jessen

Marcia Jessen Auditioning

I have read that the 12 Universal Sherlock Holmes films were digitally restored by UCLA (with funding by Hugh Hefner) and that the quality is excellent. I hope that The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes will be as good. I don't think either has been properly restored yet.

Marcia

5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

SHERLOCK HOLMES COLLECTION #1 -- October 28th.

SHERLOCK HOLMES COLLECTION #2 -- November 25th.

Are the above collections, which each contain 4 different Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce S.H. Classics, the official releases from MPI Home Video?

Those two collections will feature the first 8 Universal Basil S.H. movies, in the order they were made, beginning with 1942's "Sherlock Holmes And The Voice Of Terror".

Good price too, it would appear .... just $12.60 per film. Of course, each movie is quite short on the running time, averaging approx. 65 minutes per Basil Classic. But still, not a bad deal if the quality is good (which I'm praying it will be). [​IMG]

(Anybody know if MPI is also doing the two Fox S.H. entries in this series? If so, it appears those will be released out of sequence.)

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm still having a hard time believing that Fox lost the rights to MPI regarding those two titles.

Crawdaddy

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer