What's new

Possible New Superbits. (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I can't wait for Spidey in Superbit! I have a feeling it's going to be release near the opening of Spidey 2. I think, Sony is releasing Charlie's Angel in Superbits as well with free tickets to Angel's 2.

bruce

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So, I take it Mr. Harris that you were not brought on board for this new DVD release of Lawrence of Arabia? Sony strikes twice! The weasels!

I'd definitely want DTS on there (and it's a Superbit release anyway) with the new remix as its source, just for the fact that if done right the lesser compression helps a bit with the audio quality.

Dan

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
If they had been honest with us, from the get-go, I would have just waited for the Superbit, and not bothered with the other versions.

I already had the original release of Starship Troopers and was dissapointed by the SE specs and KNEW a superbit was inevitable (Mask of Zorro anyone?), and as such had the sense to hold out. It makes me laugh that all these people complain about multiple releases, you don't HAVE to buy every edition you know. I held off with Spiderman as well so that's another Superbit you can chalk me up for!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If a big blockbuster doesn't first show up as a Superbit, just be patient. Knowing Sony, it'll happen eventually!

Dan

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

Ok, so you're smarter than me. :rolleyes:Seriously though, instead of releasing a special edition and then a Superbit, they could have made it a Superbit Deluxe.

greg_t

Screenwriter

True, but by making a special edition, followed by a superbit, some of us will buy it twice, giving them double the profit. That's the smart way to do business. How many times have I bought Mask Of Zorro now anyway?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, Spidey, Riverdance, and LoA are definite buys for me. Not so sure about Starship Troopers, as the SE is already pretty darn good.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
So, if Robert Harris is apparently not involved in the LoA SB, that maybe suggests the color timing, the only real flaw with the current LE, will not be fixed properly? The sound on the LE is fine, I don't have a problem with it, though better would be nice, I would not rebuy just for dts. If Sony is smart they will release a 2 disc SB *without* any extras...frankly, I think the market for the SB is pretty much the same type of people who already have the LE, enthusiasts, no need to piss them off totally...at least make them think the LE is worth holding on to.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unless Mr. Harris is involved, I will not pre-order LOA. I will not touch the SuperBit unless he approves it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I don't wish to get into another discussion of the problems of the Lawrence DVD, it should be understood that there were problems with both audio and picture.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Have you got a link to a reference that summarizes these problems? For those of us too young to have seen the original movie, and those of us who haven't been lucky enough to see the restored version. For those people, like me, the actual LE disc does not seem problematical at all, in that it's technically functional, even though it may not be an accurate representation of the original. Personally, my big problem with the movie, which I like for itself, is its historical accuracy, but then it's entertainment. Thanks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I will not "double-dip" on Superman unless it is a SBD. I think they can revisit some of the older titles like First Knight, Hook and some others that could really benefit with new transfers.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I won't double dip on LoA either; Unless they get RH to supervise the transfer process. Paid $30 for the LE and won't pay any more $$ for fancy extras that I'll watch once.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Ok, so you're smarter than me. Seriously though, instead of releasing a special edition and then a Superbit, they could have made it a Superbit Deluxe.
Sorry for sounding like such an ass, but it just annoys me when people complain after buying 3 releases of the same movie... why do they keep releasing them? Because you keep buying them!!!
btw I agree totally that they should release a SB deluxe from the get go.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I would like to see a color corrected/restored/remastered 2disc SB-SE of

Gilliams' THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN.

I thought the Columbia LD of the film had perhaps the best coloration, with honorable mention to the CRITERION LD.

IMHO, there is something "wrong" about the current DVD-it is not "enjoyable"
or right, to my eyes at all...
something is off- the colors are 'bland' or not as alive as on the LD-
im not talking saturation per se...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
IIRC, there is also a botched music cue on the current Lawrence of Arabia DVD that needs fixing, among other problems(?)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Interesting news, I also would be definately interested in Lawrence if done right. Additionally, I never did get the new SE of Starship Troopers so that might be a worthy upgrade.

btw Dan H: do you have a DTS alarm? seems you're always around the moment it comes up :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks