What's new

Possible New SEs of Treks 2-9 (1 Viewer)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Star Trek's II, III, IV, First Contact and Insurrection do not need to be re-transferred though, as they already sport very nice anamorphic transfers.
No, there is a scene in Wrath of Khan where Shatner is inserted for a few frames when Chekov fires torpedoes. Please Paramount, fix this. It is noticable, not to mention very annoying.
I do hope that they edit in the scenes from network tv back into Khan. (With spanky new transfer) I'd like to get rid of my ancient VHS of the TV version.

Bart

Stunt Coordinator
My prediction ever since 1998 has been that Paramount will release all of the Trek movies individually, then box them together, then releaase an SE of each one, then box those together. I never expected it to take this long though. At this rate, I won't get my SE box set until 2005. Hey, isn't that when the original Star Wars tilogy is released also? :)
Bart

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
No, there is a scene in Wrath of Khan where Shatner is inserted for a few frames when Chekov fires torpedoes. Please Paramount, fix this. It is noticable, not to mention very annoying.
I always thought this was an MPEG encoding error, and not related to the actual film to video transfer. Usually the studios use the same print for all of their video transfers, and as this never popped up before on any previous incarnation of Trek 2, and it's highly unlikely that a print of this film has that one frame glitch, this makes the most sense to me.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
DTS would be a complete waste for parts 1 - 5, as they are old and have lackluster sound (by today's standards). DTS would just eat up valuable bits needed to keep MPEG artifacts down.
Things that ARE absolutely essential are...
The scenes deleted from Part II to be included, at least as a supplement.
Part V's cut scenes presented as a supplement, or better yet, put back in the film. The picture was cut heavily after disastrous test screenings (and rightly so, because it's a big stinking pile of shit).
Part VI's aspect ratio must be corrected with an ANAMORPHIC TRANSFER! It must be the longer cut.
GENERATIONS must be redone in ANAMORPHIC and the soundtrack corrected. DTS would benefit this title.
FIRST CONTACT and INSURRECTION are fine (the latter being a terrible film, one that I will never, ever own).
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

GregK

Screenwriter
Star-Trek: Generations SE
Include the alternate death sequence of Captain Kirk that
was originally going to be used, but test audiences didn't
like it so they re-shot Kirk's death to more 'noble'.
Of course a 16x9 transfer, a correct DD 5.1 track, and
a theatrical trailer would be nice as well.
biggrin.gif

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Part VI's aspect ratio must be corrected with an ANAMORPHIC TRANSFER! It must be the longer cut.
I'd prefer seamless branching, so that I could see the original version, which I haven't seen in years.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

David Judah

Screenwriter
DTS would be a complete waste for parts 1 - 5, as they are old and have lackluster sound (by today's standards).
Really? Jaws, an even older movie, sounded pretty darn good in DTS.
SEs would be great because I passed on the first releases(rented them) in hopes Paramount would do exactly what I figured they would.
Bring 'em on, Paramount with DTS and lots of extras. Generally, I am not that concerned about supplemental material but the whole Star Trek mystique and history requires it.
DJ

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Really? Jaws, an even older movie, sounded pretty darn good in DTS.
The soundtrack on the Jaws DVD was newly created for the DVD relese. It's not the same soundtrack that originally accompanied the film 25 years ago. It features many new sound effects and such. There was something of an uproar over this when the disc was first released.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Carl, and I participated in those Jaws threads. My point is quite simple--the age of the movie is irrelevant as far as DTS inclusion is concerned(or DD 5.1 for that matter). Obviously, similiar treatment would be necessary.
I happen to think it's OK to update a soundtrack and don't liken it to changing OAR. Some members disagree as the Jaws threads indicated, and that's OK too.
DJ
[Edited last by David Judah on August 22, 2001 at 12:34 AM]

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
What were the Sulu scenes for Trek IV??
There was a scene on the streets of San Francisco where Commander Sulu meets his great, great grandfather as a young child. The child mistakes Sulu for an Uncle and the two converse briefly in Japanese. Then the boy wanders off and Sulu, amazed, tells McCoy who it was.
Director Leonard Nimoy attempted to film this scene but the boy they chose became tired and irritable and refused to cooperate. They tried coaxing him and prodding him and bribing him but they lost the light and had to move on. With time being the fire in which movies burn, they couldn't pick the scene up at a later date with a different child actor. Sorry, no scene.
It is, however, in the novelization for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Pity that kid didn't work out. It would have been a great Sulu moment.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks