What's new

Possible New SEs of Treks 2-9 (1 Viewer)

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
An article in tomorrow's Variety covering the announcement of the release of the first Star Trek film on DVD includes a tidbit from Paramount senior VP of marketing Michael Arkin in which he is directly quoted as saying the studio is considering now releasing special editions of the other Star Trek films, starting with Wrath of Kahn and going in order.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
OMG, it is about time
biggrin.gif

I wish tye would start with Generations, though. One of my favorite Treks and also considered probably the worst Trek DVD, quailty wise.
frown.gif

------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about anyone else, but I saw this coming.
I like trek quite a bit, but after seeing how they did the vhs boxed set, I just figured that there would be a dvd set that looked like it. I didn't figure on waiting quite this long, but I've held out for a boxed set of all the movies. I'm pretty sure that a boxed set will come now that the the first movie will be available.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I am so in! Next year is Star Trek II's 20th anniversary too! I sense a brilliant marketing strategy in order! :) Bring on the Nick Meyer commentary and those deleted network TV scenes!
P.S. Sorry for using too much exclamation points!

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Please join me in a moment of prayer.
Oh Lord, thank you in your infinite wisdom for giving Paramount the rights to the Star Trek franchise and not Warner Bros.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
* DTS
* Anamorphic Enhancement
* Actor Commentary
* Director Commentary
* Deleted Scenes (or storyboard, abandoned script elements)
* Original Theatrical Poster Gallery
* Directors cut for IV, V(if rumors are true), VIII
I had been holding off on most Treks for possible S.E.s. I have First Contact and Insurrection, as well ast IV (COMPUSA clearance). I intend to buy The Motion Picture as it looks like a fine edition.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In particular, I was never that happy with the Star Trek II DVD transfer - too dark and reddish - and my set is calibrated with Avia.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Directors cut for IV, V(if rumors are true), VIII

I know there's the TV version of "II/Khan" and the longer version of "VI/Undiscovered Country" but I've never heard about longer versions for the movies you listed. Does anyone have any info about those? imdb.com doesn't list anything.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just hope they add the deleted scenes back in to Trek 2. These are scenes that actually matter to the storyline (ie-explaining that the young cadet who Scotty carries to the bridge is his nephew.).

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I would like to have the original ending of part VI put back instead of the Scooby-Doo ending that it is now.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
And I hope they finally get Star Trek VI's aspect ratio right. It was shot in "Super-35", and shown at 2.35:1, but the widescreen transfer is at about 2:1. I want this so look like it did in the theater.
Star Trek's II, III, IV, First Contact and Insurrection do not need to be re-transferred though, as they already sport very nice anamorphic transfers.
As for Generations I hope they transfer the sound correctly. The Dolby Digital LD has far more bass in the LFE than the DVD. On LD, it really sounds like the Amargosa star is imploding (if sound could travel through space). On DVD, none of the impact is there. Very dissapointing. I won't even talk about how lame the crash sounds on DVD.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Frakes had to Trim First Contact for a better rating, there was always rumor it would be restored for home video. DVD would be a better choice.
Sulu's scenes didn't make it into IV, they were scripted, and possibily storyboarded. Whether they were filmed or not is up to speculation. There are equal numbers of people who claim the scenes were filmed and excised to those who say they were not ever filmed.
Part V: there was a thread recently that a directors cut would redeem the film and that many scenes were dropped. That was the first time I'd heard about it to. It would be one of two reason I'd buy V at all - the second reason being if there were a boxed set released with all films before or while they were released individually.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
What about possible re-do's of special FX? Would anyone like to see that in any of these films like they are doing to the first one? I'm all for it personally.
------------------
Michael Boyd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks