possible new receiver problem? left channel extreme low volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_Black, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Hi everyone..I recently got a new HK 325 receiver and just finished setting it up. First thing I noticed is that the front left channel is much much quieter then the front right channel (I have only setup the front 2 channels) I have checked all default settings and there is no variable in the menu which would make this channel be quiet.

I then tried another pair of speakers, with the same result. I have tried switching through all the differant modes, aswell as changing the +db on both channels, the right increases significantly and the left does a little bit, but not much.

In the back of the receiver I have tried removing the right channel input and replacing it with the left and the left channel signal is displayed fine through the right speaker. I have also tried swapping speaker cables around, and now the problem has reversed to the other speaker.

I hope this explanation makes sense..but after all this, am I to assume the front left channel output of this receiver is busted? am I missing something?

any help would be great!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like room effect. Do you have a near wall on the right side and not on the left by any chance?

Sounds like you have done enough tests to prove that it is the receiver though. If you bought it locally, take it back and have them try it in the store. If it is bad, they should exchange it for you, no questions asked.

3. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Unfortunately I don't think its the room...I have even gone to the extent of removing one channel at a time, and taking a small speaker and putting it right upto my ear...the left hardly changes when volume is applied, the right gets very loud.

I am trying to figure out if it could be ANYTHING else..maybe a setting..something. Oh, and for the record, whith the change in speakers, I also used differant wire, so it is not the wire.

damn [​IMG]

4. Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins Agent

This may seem incredibly basic, but... have you checked the left-right balance setting?

Tim

5. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

I spent a good hour going through the menu looking for options, trying options I did not think would work anyway..basically anything. Well, don't I feel dumb. There is a balance knob on the front, it was set all the way right.

[​IMG]

Especially you Tim. I tell everyone all the time the simplest solution is most likely correct...in this case I just needed to open my eyes [​IMG]

thanks!

6. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I had the same "problem" with my 520. Unfortunately, I brought in for service. Boy did I feel like a complete ass when I found out what the "fix" was. [​IMG]