What's new

Possible new Pink Panther set? (1 Viewer)

Jason Elrod

Auditioning
I just read info on the new Panther movie on Dark Horizons site and at the end found this:

"The entire series--all nine installments--will be released on DVD in the Spring of 2005 with a trailer for the new film. The box set of the five Peter Sellers classics will be off the market at that point. Fans should hold onto their Region 2 DVD box as it contains a number of extras that could not be cleared for copyright in the Region 1 box coming this April".

SvenS

Second Unit
I get VB (Video Business) Magazine and it has a whole layout on the upcoming Pink Panther boxset which is going to be released by MGM on April 6th 2004. The boxset will include five Pink Pather films (The Pink Panther, A Shot In The Dark, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge Of The Pink Panther, and Trail Of The Pink Panther) and a sixth bonus disc. The Return Of The Pink Panther is missing since MGM does not have the rights to that film.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
As I undertsand it (or rumour has it) that the Region 1 set is missing extra materials that appear on the Region 2 set...

Can anyone comment?

Dugger

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Dark Horizons was referring to ANOTHER set in 2005 that would have ALL the films from the series in there. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that happens, since the one coming up only has the Sellers movies, and MGM will want to get all the hype going for their Steve Martin PANTHER film that'll be due out next year.

Jo_C

Second Unit
If indeed MGM plans to release this "ultimate" Pink Panther set in 2005, then that would somewhat mean MGM was able to strike a licensing deal with Carlton/ITC and Lions Gate/Artisan for the rights to "Return Of The Pink Panther"...either that or Lions Gate would have to share in the DVD reissue.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, all MGM owns of "Return" is the theatrical distribution rights, all other ancillary rights are with Carlton/ITC.

I'll be right up there celebrating with Victoria Sellers (Peter's daughter and keeper of the Sellers estate) and the rest of the cast and crew (especially Mr. Edwards) when this set happens.

Jo_C

Second Unit

Actually, United Artists, as "Return" was released in 1974, seven years before MGM merged with UA.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

UA did actually *release* RETURN, but they apparently didn't feel the project would be too successful, so they allowed ITC (now Carlton) to fund it and keep the lion's share of the profits. Sellers and Edwards were both on a downward trend in the mid '70s more or less -- RETURN was kind of a comeback for both of them, if I'm not correct, and enabled both to keep doing projects for years afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks