What's new

Possible mirror/lens misalignment on Toshiba RPTV (1 Viewer)

Marshall_M

Grip
When adjusting the convergence on my Toshiba TZ43V61 you can choose between 9 sections of the screen to adjust the red and blue cross hairs. Pretty simple to do but my problem is on sections 1 and 2 in the upper left corner and upper center of the screen the cross hairs for the red adjustment do not point up and down. The 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock parts of the cross hair point more at 1 and 7 while the 3 and 9 part of the cross hair are just fine. This happened after I moved months ago.

Is there a way to realign this that your average Joe can do without any specialized tools? I don't want to pay a tv repairman to come out here and have a bill thats half the cost of new 40-45" RPTV.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Since you mentioned the problem happened just after you moved, there is a good chance that something physical such as a ring around a picture tube neck has slipped.

Generally TV repairmen use gut feeling and trial and error to get the rings re-adjusted reasonably correctly. You can, too, but it is not easy and you have to be careful of high voltages on parts inside the cabinet. If the menu and/or screwdriver adjustments you can reach easily don't do the trick, I guess you may have to call a TV repairman after all.

Do not put a degaussing coil inside the TV cabinet. If the rings around the tube neck(s) are degaussed, they must be replaced to get the convergence right again.

Unrelated video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Marshall_M

Grip
Thanks Allan. I suspected as much. I actually went shopping today and found a great deal on a Mitsubishi WD-62527. If the wife will go for it I'll probably sell my old Toshiba to a local restaurant for a couple hundred, use that money to buy the Mitsubishi and charge the rest of it. Can't go wrong for $1500 and a full warranty.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks