What's new

Possible mirror/lens misalignment on Toshiba RPTV (1 Viewer)

Marshall_M

Grip
When adjusting the convergence on my Toshiba TZ43V61 you can choose between 9 sections of the screen to adjust the red and blue cross hairs. Pretty simple to do but my problem is on sections 1 and 2 in the upper left corner and upper center of the screen the cross hairs for the red adjustment do not point up and down. The 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock parts of the cross hair point more at 1 and 7 while the 3 and 9 part of the cross hair are just fine. This happened after I moved months ago.

Is there a way to realign this that your average Joe can do without any specialized tools? I don't want to pay a tv repairman to come out here and have a bill thats half the cost of new 40-45" RPTV.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Since you mentioned the problem happened just after you moved, there is a good chance that something physical such as a ring around a picture tube neck has slipped.

Generally TV repairmen use gut feeling and trial and error to get the rings re-adjusted reasonably correctly. You can, too, but it is not easy and you have to be careful of high voltages on parts inside the cabinet. If the menu and/or screwdriver adjustments you can reach easily don't do the trick, I guess you may have to call a TV repairman after all.

Do not put a degaussing coil inside the TV cabinet. If the rings around the tube neck(s) are degaussed, they must be replaced to get the convergence right again.

Unrelated video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Marshall_M

Grip
Thanks Allan. I suspected as much. I actually went shopping today and found a great deal on a Mitsubishi WD-62527. If the wife will go for it I'll probably sell my old Toshiba to a local restaurant for a couple hundred, use that money to buy the Mitsubishi and charge the rest of it. Can't go wrong for $1500 and a full warranty.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshuagilbreath