Possible King Crimson DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

From Discipline Global Mobile's latest newsletter:

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Mike- I knew it had to be you when I saw the thread title... [​IMG]
    There are just a few bands that I would swap already outstanding (enough) CD remasters for DVD-A's or SACDs. King Crimson is one of them.
    Let us know...

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Multichannel Thela Hun Ginjeet...... Hmmmmm......

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Who remembers about a year ago when Virgin said that IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING was going to come out on SACD? I'm stille crossing my fingers and waiting....

5. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Yep, the King Crimson SACD is actually listed on Circuit City's website. I nearly soiled myself when I found that last week. I just got an SACD player and was looking though the available discs because CC seems to have good selection and good prices. But, it's listed as a backorder, and, upon searching this forum, I found the disc was rumored and never materialized.

I'll take hi-rez King Crimson, no matter the format.

6. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Guys, just wandering around the forum.. I have only heard one album by King Crimson and do like their stuff. I believe it was called Red.. anyway, songs Starless and Fallen Angel come to mind... Which one of their other albums would you put at the top of your list as a must listen to a King Crimson newcomer..

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I absoltely love THRAK. As "modern Crimson" it's better than ConstruKtion of light IMO.

I don't think I've heard any studio album pre-Discipline.

9. Michael St. Clair

There were plans several years ago to release 5.1 DTS CDs if Crimson and Fripp material. An album or two of Soundscapes were actually mixed for 6 channel, but DGM never got them to market.

DGM basically bit off more than they could chew for the last few years.

Now they have refocused their efforts in fewer directions. I won't at all be surprised to see DVD-A releases in the next few months. SACD, you never know. But that old solicitation from Virgin isn't worth anything any more.

Philip, for years (a long time ago) I only listened to the stuff from the 80s, but I now consider the output from 71-74 to be the best Crimson ever released. You really need to buy some more albums. Though I have to admit, while I consider most of the studio albums essential, 'The Great Deceiver' is the most essential Crimson title I own (to me).

As far as multi-channel goes, I think Soundscapes and the most recent stuff would benefit from aggressive mixing. The 80s stuff somewhat also. The 60s and 70s stuff, I would stick to ambience for the rear channels.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Great Deceiver was out of print for a while, but now it's back. I don't know if it's been remastered, but maybe that's what you're thinking of. Either way, don't expect there to be yet another re-release of this set. And besides, it's not like the sound quality of these ancient live recordings were ever so good. You buy this for the music, not the sonics.

But it's a damn fine set- the most exciting of the pre-Discipline band.

However, since it's 4 discs, I usually don't recommend this one to start with for newbies. Nightwatch or Lark's Tongues in Aspic is probably a better intro.

Oh man, I'd love to hear some surround Soundscapes. Ideally, I'd love Fripp to record brand new material specifically for multi-channel.

Of all the line-ups, I feel the double-trio would benefit most from an aggressive sound mix. More instruments = more gooder.

The current band is, surprisingly, capable of making as much noise, though. Pat Mastelotto is much more powerful presence on drums than Bruford, and Gunn is able to fill up a wide range on his Warr guitar.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Mike- No, not re-released, but re-mastered. I think I saw it in ICE magazine a while back when they were commenting on some of the other remasters that were done. I think there's been 2 sets for some of them. The mid-90's-ish DGM ones (?), and then there was a set of Japanese remasters done near the turn of the century where they did gatefold-like album covers for the CDs.
    I saw it mentioned somewhere, just can't remember where. [​IMG] But it was a while ago so...

13. Michael St. Clair

Fripp was planning on remastering TGD. Eventually it was postponed and they did a reissue instead. He said it still might get remastered someday.

He really likes remastering as technology progresses. He feels that the original analog tapes have a lot to offer.

14. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

15. Michael St. Clair

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but if you like Adrian Belew, get over to http://www.adrianbelew.net and order his first 3 albums on CD. The first two have never been released on CD before. These discs are carefully-mastered Japanese imports and only 5,000 copies of each were pressed.
    As far as Thrak, I bought it on release date, of course. [​IMG]

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Kevin,
    That's interesting about TGD. I would be interested to hear if anything can be done with that source material, but I am sceptical. They sound basically like official bootlegs to me, so I can't imagine a major sound improvement.
    But, of course, I would buy it. [​IMG]

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like Thrak, but I like Vrooom more. [​IMG]
    I love Discipline, but I played it to death when it first came out because it was so different than anything else I had ever heard before. (Indiscipline, the Sheltering Sky, ahhhhhh.) Discipline was my 1st King Crimson lp. (Yes, ... lp.)
    I find it hard to like 3 of a Perfect Pair. The tunes aren't quite as "catchy" for me as Discipline and Beat.
    Beat: Neurotica. Probably my favorite song from the 80's. I really like Beat, because I *didn't* play it to death, so it sounds "fresher" to me now when I listen to it, but I still personally put it on par with Discipline.
    But for me? The mid 70's stuff rules. They were like a heavy metal/progressive band, who could write and play "slow" tunes too. But not "bad" heavy metal (you know, like Disturbed, Staind, etc.), but just the impression I get when I hear the words "heavy metal" and then my mental image of someone bashing the lid of an old style metal garbage can in one hand ... with a crow bar in the other. *That* to me is mid-70's King Crimson. (*That's* also why I always ask about a remastered TGD when I get the chance! [​IMG] Just want to make sure I don't miss it, when/if it ever comes out.)
    How come no one improvises any more? 20 min of Deep Purple and Space Truckin'. 24 min Supper's Ready. 27 min of Dazed and Confused. 23 min of I walk on Gilded Splinters (you get a gold star if you know who did this one). Allman Bros Band, Cream, Blind Faith, 14 min of My Generation.... Man, ...
    This is a great thread [​IMG], but just really depresses me in terms what I believe the current state of music is today [​IMG].

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

19. Michael St. Clair

FYI, T.Lev was nominated for best intrumental rock grammy this week...

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer