Possible inexpensive solution to keep AV equipment/components COOL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I put this in the back of my AV cabinet to cool my UltimateTV PVR as a result it also cools all equipment in my cabinet. It is relatively quiet and moves a lot more air than the two 4 inch 12volt fans I was using.
    BTW I bought it locally from Walgreen's for 9.99 Ace Hardware also sell them for 11.99 I use the link below only to show the fan I'm speaking of.
    http://www.cornerhardware.com/hardwa...2930&cat_id=87

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

The link doesn't seem to work. Just takes me to the homepage.

Do you have the name of the fan? I can do search once I have the name.

3. Greg Haynes

Thanks for the links [​IMG]

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

You can buy something similar at Home Depot. The one that I bought there has the option of a small base or a clip on device that Reginald's Ace hardware fan displays in the link.

Product info is SMC TRC6 813-256 6" 2-In-1 Desk & Clip Fan 2 Speed fan.

I think I paid around the same price. As Reginald has stated, it moves a lot of air and keeps everything much cooler.

I had the same situation with PC cooling fans, but they did not move as much air. This works great.

Thanks for sharing Reg..

5. Ken Janisse

Ken Janisse Extra

Reginald,

Where did you mount your fan exactly? Did you mount it at the bottom blowing up or top down? My cabinet has solid non-vented shelves.

Great idea!

6. Greg Haynes

You said that it's quiet, but how quiet? Is it noticeable from 12ft away? Do you have it blowing air out from the back of your receiver?

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Greg,
    I did an SPL reading on the fan for ya. Not scientific, but just to give you some numbers.
    67 when I put the meter right next to the fan.
    No readout when I move 12 feet away. The Digital Radio Shack only goes down to 60 and if the level is below that number, does not give any info but LO.
    I shut everything off in the house when I did the test and I live in a very quiet neighborhood. No other audiophiles cranking subs here but me. [​IMG]
    Can you hear something when it's totaly quiet? Just a bit, but it's much quieter then my pc fans and it never bothers me in the least.
    Also, I currently have the fan outside of a rack in the rear, blowing on the equipment. I am sure if it was inside a rack, the enclosure would muffle the sound even more.
    I have the equipment stacked on the floor at the moment as I am revamping my system and have not selected a rack yet. The fan keeps both amps cool.
    Besides, a $10 investment is not a lot of money for cooling your equipment down during the summer. If you don't like it, then just utilize it somewhere in the house or take it back and get a refund.
    Man those racks are big $$$'s.
    Hope this helps.

8. Greg Haynes

Thanks Chas [​IMG] I really appreciate your effort in answering my questions. I think I'll try it out and like you said if I don't like it I can always place it somewhere else in the house.
    If you looking for audio racks then the best place IMHO would be www.audioadvisor.com. They have a great selection and pretty good prices.

9. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Greg. I will visit there and check out their products. I did a quick search on the HTF site and there is lots of info here on finding the perfect rack!!

Stay cool and may your equipment do the same.

Charles

10. Reginald Trent

Sorry for the late response, I've been away from home. Anyway, I have the fan on the floor shelf blowing into the cabinet which is actually a TV stand with a glass door in front. The door redirects the air from the fan into the rest of the equipment.

Buy it try it and if you don't like it you can always return it for a refund.

11. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I hope you turn it off when you're playing a movie or listening to music. I cannot see how that thing can be quiet. So many ppl spend money to lower their noise floor and you're spending $10 to raise it [​IMG]

12. Reginald Trent

Howard, not sure what you're using. However, as I said earlier this fan moves more air than the two 4" 12volt fans that it replaced. And oh yeah, did I forget to mention it is quieter too? Yes it is quieter than my previous fans.

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The real answer, IMO: open rack. I don't have any cooling issues with my gear, because it has tons of airflow around it.

I have two similar fans, and I don't feel they are quiet at all. I noticed the one in my bedroom actually caused quite a bit of noise, so I don't have it on when I am using the stereo. I don't use one in my main systsem. If they were on a separate circuit maybe, but on the same circuit is an invitation for interference. Anything with a motor will cause some amount of noise.

14. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

How hot do things get? I would try and get by without a fan. Your equipment should have been designed with air circulation in mind. If you have a dusty house, you may suck dust into your gear. Your better off making sure the components have enough breathing space around them in your rack, especially on top of each piece. Put the component that generates the most heat on the top position if possible. That will most likely be a heavy amp or receiver so hopefully it won't make things too top-heavy.

15. Reginald Trent

Obviously this suggestion is not for everyone's specfic situation/setup. However, it is inexpensive and works great for those that can use it.

They are who this suggestion was directed to.