What's new

Possible IB placements...? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hi all!

Well, I finally managed to make a box for my system. It'll be an IB using 4 12" DVC drivers.

As for the room, it's still in the remodeling stage. That said, I have a serious issue with the IB's placement.

Originally, the room had a slanted ceiling and it was a bit irregular. I'm turning it into a rectangle with the adequate proportions to evenly space out nodal modes.

The outside of it, though, will stay the same to minimize cost. So I figured out, if the slanted ceiling stays, and I build a false one out of wire mesh and concrete (in thin layers) I could easily have the acoustical space I needed. Bad thing is, the false ceiling *won't* be able to support the IB manifold. It's simply too heavy.

So I'm looking for some other placement options.... or innovative ideas. The only one that comes to mind is, "connecting" the manifolds' output to the acoustical space via PVC pipes or something. That way, the subwoofer cube could be on the floor, and a couple of 6" painted PVC pipes would connect its output to the space in the ceiling. Would this behave as a true IB, or would it exhibit irregular frequency response, because of the resonance introduced by the pipes?

Thanks for your ideas! :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The 'pipe' design isn't a IB, it's a version of transmission line loading. The itself pipe will radiate energy into the room.

A better option if possible is to place some 2"X6"s across the width of the 'attic' space. Then ceiling mount a manifold. Have the opening fire into the 'attic' space (manifold hanging into the room). Cover the exposed manifold with a slip cover.

If the attic won't take the load then give up on the idea of having an IB. Unless it can fire into the floor or whatever's behind the front wall

BTW we could have used this drawing several months ago. Knowing the setup would have saved a ton of bandwidth. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks