Possible HT and questions about the SVS subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry F, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Barry F

Barry F Auditioning

Hello, I have been looking into the following equipment:

Denon 3802 Receiver

Panasonic DVD-RP91K

Energy Speakers e:XL series

.- 26 for fronts

.- R for rears

.- C2 for center

SVS sub(s) w/ amp

TV To be determined(most likely RPTV, but maybe a tube TV)

CD player (could use some suggestions)

Now, my question is would it be better to have two smaller SVS subs (two 25-31CS w/ Samson amp) or a single larger(16-46CS w/ samson amp) in a fairly small(11/12 x 14/16) multi-purpose living room/entertainment room?

What do you all think about this setup? It will probably be the one and only setup I buy for the next few years, and I'd like it to last me a long, long time. Any suggestions?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Barry,

Is the room fairly well enclosed? Are you a pipe organ fan? And perhaps most importantly...is reference level playback capability important to you?

TV

3. Barry F

Barry F Auditioning

Reference level playback is not important to me, and I do occasionally listen to pipe organs coupled with a brass ensemble.

I am looking at two houses currently, and each room is NOT enclosed. Both are open to a dining room and both include kitchen access.

Thanks,

BF

4. Tom Vodhanel

I would go with a single 16-46cs/S700 package. This would be the best performer on pipe organ playback...and it will allow you an easy upgrade path if you decided to add a second 16-46cs down the road.

TV

5. Barry F

Barry F Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestion Todd, if you don't mind my ignorance, what would be the downfall of having two smaller subs? Is it a matter of cancellation?

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Since I'm here.....

The 16*46 will do the deep bass in organ music, while the 25*31 won't dig as deep, even when paired.

Having a pair of subs will give you more headroom, or the ability to go louder, but not necessarily deeper. Important when listening at reference levels, but you don't seem to do that often.

And yes, 2 subs in the same room run the risk of interference unless they are together in the same corner.

Big = 16*46, very deep bass and loud enough.

Small = 25*31, deep enough and very loud.

Can't go wrong with Tom's rec.

Good Luck -

- CM

7. Barry F

Barry F Auditioning

Thanks, but this is only leading to more and more questions. Time to use the search feature. :b

BF

8. Tom Vodhanel

The two smaller SVs would be the better performers 98% of the time. The only time the single(or even dual 46s) would outgun the 25-31s is when the source material dropped under 22-24hz. About the only music this happens with is pipe organs...and only the most bass heavy DVDs have loud bass