possible heresy.. changing SVS subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_R, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

So I'm reading posts about SVS subs, as all good people do, and a 2 thoughts crossed my mind. I recalled the extremely deep bass of the pod racing scene from the theater.. and would it be possible to make the sub a different shape? My SAF is pretty high, as she loves home theater, and I know I could turn her into an SVS lover, but some people aren't as lucky.
    Remember, its only a suggestion, don't hang me! [​IMG]
    Jon

2. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Consider yourself smiten! j/k!
    If WAF was a factor in my case, I would have probably bought an Adire Dharman (cube) or built one myself (again, cube style). Check out the Dharman. It too is a mainly internet clientelle with good performance/price ratio. I'm sure Ron or Tom will chime in and I'd definately listen to what they will say.
    I love the look of the SVS 20-39PC. Cubes are boring.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The SVS subs are cylindrical for engineering reasons. Change the shape and you change the performance.
    Changing the shape to please your SO wouldn't make engineering sense.

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

The SVS subs are cylindrical for engineering reasons. Change the shape and you change the performance.
    Changing the shape to please your SO wouldn't make engineering sense.
    >>>>>>>
    Huh? Would you care to elaborate on that?

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

It would be probably just fine to do something on the outside of the cylinder. That wouldn't change the performance but could change the look. Let's see, a bit of stuffing, fake fur, arms, legs, snout, rounded ears, and you've got the SVS Teddy Bear. Reminds me, I haven't gone and hugged the subs lately. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on October 25, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

A better shape would probably one with a spherical cabinet. If a port is required, multi spheres, one inside another, with air passages could be implemented to create either a long port or transmission line. Even better would be a spiral port going from the inside to out.
    Another design could be a woofer section of the main speakers, in which the bass sections of the L and R speakers interconnected by cabinets (probably on the lower portion, making it look like a U shaped speaker system) that houses interconnected transmission lines. This layout could be implemented in subs that flanks your sofa and wraps around it in the back. Implemented as giant horns would bring 140dB peak into reality.
    One more design would be a sub running the full length of the room, with either a long slit port or multiple equal-length ports running along with the length of the sub. This way, room length mode becomes an non-issue.
    If a cylindrical shape is desired, a parabolic shaped end plate would be desired since that would distribute end force load better. Maybe an Isobaric layout could be used with a driver in each end. If you want to keep it vented, inter-layered tube design could be implemented on the port for true 1/4 wave tuning.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

If the shape is really a hangup, the Adire Dharman that Bob mentioned is probably your best bet. Performance-wise, it's probably closest to a 20-39PC.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

8. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

I own a Dharman and it bottoms out regularly. I have SVS to replace it. I expressed my bottoming issues at another forum and they threw stones at me at the mear negative mention that the Dharman could be anything less than a godsend.
    I don't believe the Dharman is an adequate .1 sub for a higher end Home Theater system. It will do if your Home Theater is in a small room or a bedroom. It will also be a very nice sub for you main speakers. But for .1 it does NOT rate a 10.
    If you are Dharman lover, leave me alone I have heard it bottom out regularly and I won't tolerate being told I don't know how to calibrate it!

9. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Shawn its totally understandable that you feel the Dharman is not adequate enough for .1 duty because it would not be nearly enough for me either.
    Thing is I doubt a single anything is going to give the bass you are looking for.
    Before you go and spend the money on an SVS sub I think you should consider building your own...if this is not an option then you will need at least 2 high output 12" driver based subs......but there is still a possiblilty that you will be disappointed. Two of any of SVS subs would not be enough for me in my HT.....it would take 4.
    I run dual 15" Tempest drivers and 1000 very clean watts to them.....this is just enough bass for me.(Of course I want more!!)
    To be on the safe side the minimum I think you should run is dual SVS Ultra subs.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

quote: If you are Dharman lover, leave me alone I have heard it bottom out regularly and I won't tolerate being told I don't know how to calibrate it![/quote]
    Ok.
    Jon,
    You can find some more experiences with the Dharman over on HTT. This thread addresses bottoming:
    http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004099.html
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 26, 2001 at 09:12 AM]

11. Wookie Groomer

James,
    I am getting dual 20's. I have them sitting in their boxes at home because I am out of the state on a project and plan to be home this weekend. The Dharman came 90% close to what I was looking for. It did make me smile once or twice but never gave me the shitless grin I was hoping for. I am hoping that 2 SVS's will kick it up a notch just a little bit more, if so then I will be happy. I'm not looking for radicaly more bass, I'm looking for a little more. Dharmen goes deep but does not punch.

12. Wookie Groomer

Jack,
    I've already arranged to send the Dharman back. Nothing against Adire or the Dharman, it just wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted. I am not guilty for wanting more intensity.

13. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

On the topic of boxy subs, the dharman looks to be a good unit, nice amp and driver. It should certainly be considered along with the VTF-2,PW2200 and perhaps the CT150 from VEL.
    On the topic of parabolic/sphere enclosures...
    it would be nice to experiment, but at the same time...checks/balances do exist. There's only so much R/D money to invest. At present we're in the middle of a few things we're pretty excited about...but sphere's ain't one of them [​IMG]
    TV

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer