What's new

Possible Geometry Issue On 40XBR800? (1 Viewer)

Denny Olson

Auditioning
When watching wide-screen DVD's (is there any other way!)
on this Sony set,the horizontal scan lines just below
and above the black bars on the right side of the
screen bow toward the picture.(the last 1" or so)
It's about 2 to 3 lines worth that are not part of
the dvd picture therefore there are red,blue or green
dots that are not suppose to be there.
On full frame images there are no problems.
Currently I use mattes placed far enough into the
picture to cover up this flaw,however I am looking
for a long tem fix if possible.
Any thoughts?

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
There are geometry and convergence parameters in the service menu, but to what degree they can correct this is only known once you try it.
Many Sony convergence errors are caused by aperture grille misalignment, which would be termed a defect in the CRT.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I have the 34XBR800 and there is a hazy white line going down the left side of the screen when in 4:3 mode. When I put it in full mode I can still notice a little bit of the hazy line but it is mostly gone due to overscan. However when watching full-frame films (such as Casablanca) and 4:3 television the line is very present. Why? Also, when a red or bright white picture is displayed then in the very upper left corner of the screen there is discoloration. There are no speakers, I have tried degaussing, I'm annoyed.

Any help would be great!

Denny Olson

Auditioning
Last nite I used AVIA to check out how the the video test patterns looked. The horizontal lines on the grid showed a showed a definite bowing down on upper right side and it bowed up on the lower right.I was using the wide screen enhanced grid.This explains why color is bleeding into picture.
Is this correctable on the 40XBR800?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Denny--I have almost the exact symptom you described, except I have it on my 36XBR450. I've had two Sony techs (or should I say, Sony-trained--and I do say that loosely--since they don't exactly work for Sony) attempt to fix it, to no avail. The first guy at first said that it was the DVD movie that was causing it, then said that it was "within factory tolerances"; the second guy acknowledged that it was not normal, said he'd look into it, then never called me back with an update ever since.

So much for Sony service...I can more or less live with it although if I wanted to spend lots of time pressing the issue, I would; however, more distinguishing videophiles may not be as forgiving of such an anomaly...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks