What's new

Possible Endings (1 Viewer)

thapa

Agent
This is gonna be hard to explain but I'll try my best.

The only thing that is set so far is that I WANT a HT system. And that the speakers are going to be the Fluance SX-HTB speakers. They seem like a pretty good bet for $259.

*But here comes the flurry of choices.

1. Powered or passive sub?

2. To amp the speakers or not to amp?

3. A cheap powered sub with an OK performance (like Dayton 10" from PE) or are they useless investment? OR, a nice baby like, say, the SVS 20-39 PCi? (Also, can use the money saved from the cheap sub to buy amp for the speakers.)

4. A cheap passive sub (and the money saved goes to a NICE amp to power both the sub and the speakers), OR a neat SVS 25-31 CS?

5. If I do go for SVS, which is more preferable - the powered or the passive sub? On the same note, do the speakers really need an amp? If they REALLY do, then maybe I could get a passive sub and use the amp for both the speakers and the sub.

6. If I can, I would like to spend

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

See above for the first part. As to powering the sub with the same amp that powers the speakers, most receievers require a powered sub or a separate amp with a passive sub. The power requirements of a subwoofer are very different from the average power built into a receiver, thus most receivers have only line level output for the sub.

thapa

Agent
Hey Thanks Jeff.

That makes things a bit more clear.

So now I maybe looking at SX-HTB + powered sub + amp for speakers.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I own the Dayton 10" from Parts Express and let me assure you that it is most definatly not a useless investment, it sounds great and fills my small room with more than enough bass.

Also just curious as to why you would want to spend $600 on an svs when your only spending $50 for each of your other speakers, it seems to me like the way your budget is set up is way out of whack, but its your cash and your ht, i personally spent 3x more on my mains alone than i did on my subwoofer, for me the sub was an afterthought.

thapa

Agent
Well, here's the deal.

Convert the amount to NZ$ and add shipping and other charges and I'm going to be spending close to 1500-2000 anyways.

But still, you got a very good point Jimi. Kind of funny actually, when you say... 600 for the sub and 50 each for the speaker. :)

The reason for a 600 dollar sub is, well, I simply couldn't find any cheaper one (Except Dayton 10" from another thread by Kevin).

(Like you, sub was an afterthought for me too) But unlike the SX-HTB speakers which seem to have no problems for its price, all the cheaper subs seem to have the 'boom' problem, distortion, depth, response and other such problems.

Now if a sub like Dayton 10" can give out half the performance of a SVS without too much of those above mentioned problem, I'm all for it ($129 bucks). But if it still booms and distorts a lot, or lacks too much depth and response, it's not much use, is it?

Now if there is really NO sub with those qualities, or if SVS is REALLY worth its weight in gold (as I've heard is it), hell... what the hell. Might as well go for it.

Or, my only other choice remains a Shiva 12' driver and a visit to a concrete supply shop. But that's my last option because I don't think me building a sub is going to bring out any sort of masterpiece. Or piece of crap for that matter.

So, well, that explains. Too much choice and also the lack of it remains the reasons for my problem.

And I'm still up for any ideas for a speaker, a sub or an amp from anyone.

Cheers. :emoji_thumbsup:

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the Dayton and SX package. They are a fine match both in value and sonically. This combo is fine for anything short of a dedicated home theater. At that point I'd go with a higher level SVS and something like a Maggie 1.6 /mmg setup, But now where talking about a very large investment

thapa

Agent
As things stand, I'm thinking of the SX-HTB and the Dayton 10" PS and I just need to look for a suitable receiver.

And my living room size is around 560cm * 360cm (18.8 ft * 12 ft). Not exactly a small room but my budget is.

But like everything in life, nothing is fixed.
So fire away ANY suggestions.

Also, any suggestions for a suitable receiver for the SX-HTB system?

And how is the Rocket ELT Bundle from AV123.com? Or Aperion 5.1 INTIMUS? Or Ascend series 2000?

Or pair of CBM-170 paired with SVS 20-39 PCi and something else!?

Hahaha DAMM! Sure is a big, BIG world!!!!

Cheers. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks