What's new

Possible defect on Samsung 55" (1 Viewer)

Reddshift69

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hey all.

I recently picked up a 55" Samsung LED and I've noticed white splotches in the bottom corners of the screen. It's really noticeable when viewing a 2.35:1 movie on BluRay when the top and bottom of the screen are black. The splotches eminate from the lower left and right corners for 4-5 inches and then disappear. It occurs regardless of the input source so I think I've ruled out a defective component as it seems to always be there. The model is a Samsung UN55FH6003.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
not totally sure, without seeing a photo...but it sounds like you are describing 1 of 2 things:

LED "blotches" and or uniformity issues. Both are very common with LED panels and both are not generally covered by warranty, of if it quite bothersome return the display while in your 30 day return window.

good luck.

Reddshift69

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
So, I'm basically stuck with it unless I want to upgrade to a backlit display instead of the sidelit version that I bought?

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
some are much better than others. How long ago did you purchase it ? Samsung may assist via the warranty..but then may also say it is normal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, the same place I found that said the FH are backlit...Further into the read it says "suffers from the same 30degree contrast loss as every other edge-lit"?????

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
LED / LCD blotchiness is not necessarily related at all to the backlighting. More of something to do with pressure being put on the front of the panel during production and or shipping.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know all that, but edge-lit suffers from inconsistent lighting anyway.

My ???? was mainly for a "review" at a site that doesn't even know what the TV is...they reviewed.

Edit:
Went back to the review now that I am home on my 'puter...

Even people wanting answers as to the "TV being described" as backlit want to know why he's comparing the picture quality as it pertains to edgelit...his answer?

"It is a $800 LCD, you can't expect color uniformity and good side-angle views"

Reddshift69

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
schan1269 said:
Apparently FH Samsung are backlit. So how did Samsung manage to make a backlit with edge-lit problems?
My bad. You are correct about it being backlit and not edgelit.

Reddshift69

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Gregg Loewen said:
some are much better than others. How long ago did you purchase it ? Samsung may assist via the warranty..but then may also say it is normal.
Bought it the weekend before Thanksgiving. I'm going to check with the place where I got it and see what kind of help they offer. I may just end up exchanging it for a Plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread