What's new

Possible damaged B&W revisited (1 Viewer)

Dom H

Agent
The Problem
Oh dear, last week I had an incident with a dodgy lamp sending a load of static through my speakers which I thought may have damaged them although they sounded fine.
About a week later I was watching the 51st State on DVD and during a loud explosion (sounded v deep) the right speaker produced some crackling. Everytime I played the scene the right would crackle.
This is where things start to get wierd, I tried listening to the scene with headphones, no crackling, I then tried again with the speakers and it had gone, no crackling atall.
Thought all was well until I have heard a few more strange things;
1. Random (very infrequent, once every 5 days or so) pops from the right speaker during very quiet, almost silent scenes when watching tv, not on DVD or music.
2. A bassy rumble in a film on tv caused audible crackling from the right speaker.
What I have tried
I have listened to many dvds, music etc and I can't hear anything out of the norm.
Ran test tones at low-med volume from around 40Hz up to about 10kHz, no crackling.
Pushing gently on the bass driver doesn't feel rough or makes any noise.
Binding posts on speakers are tight
Possible Causes
Recently moved the unit that the equipment sits on which moved all the wiring.
Any suggestions, I am at a total loss.
Many Thanks
Dom.

GaryMore

Grip
I've had random incidents of a funny sound out of my right rear surround, and it was suggested to me to switch the rears, which I did. I found out it wasn't the speaker, and may possibly be my Denon receiver. A quick call to SoundTrack indicated a 2 - 3 week repair period (ugh!).

Try switching the rears and reproduce the problem, it will at least let you determine if it is the speaker or receiver...

Dom H

Agent
Thanks I will swap the fronts round, anyone else had similar problems, could it be the reciever? Wiring?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"could it be the reciever? Wiring?"
Maybe.
"pops from the right speaker during very quiet, almost silent scenes"
That does not sound like a speaker problem.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
The Fox station that I get through cable pops intermittently. It's the only station that does it. Maybe it's the cable?

Dom H

Agent
Ok I think I will ignore the intermittent pops on tv (noise in the source) but what about the occasionaly crackle during bassy scenes (tv & dvd)?

Thanks

Dom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks