What's new

Possible casting for the New Wonder Woman movie?... (1 Viewer)

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Hey folks, not sure about the newest info but I'd heard that actress Jordan Bayne got the part of Wonder-Woman. I dom have any pictures but a quick google search netted me this.

Had to leave that dom typo in. It's hella fraudian:D

Gabrielle

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw a petition for Jordan Bayne to get the part, but I dont think shes "officially" been cast.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
The name I can't think of right now, but I say the dark haired woman from Mullholland Drive would be a perfect Princess Diana.

In the past, my two other picks would have been Demi and Catherine.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Mulholland Drive brunette is Laura Harring, who is going to turn 39 in March, as stated above, and would be too old to herald a franchise.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I remember the initial rumours about this film saying they had offered Mariah Carey the role, but she had turned it down. Thank God!!:D

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
The Mulholland Drive brunette is Laura Harring, who is going to turn 39 in March, as stated above, and would be too old to herald a franchise.
Feh.

I think if you can look the part and act the part, age shouldn't have anything to do with it.

If you put Laura Elena *drool* Harring in a metal breastplate, handed a spear, and paired her off against -- say, I dunno, Reese Witherspoon? Sandra Bullock? Shannon Elizabeth? Jessica Alba? -- Laura would eat them alive. Or at least, she'd look like she could.

Poor Hollywood and their deluded thought processes that dictate a woman can't be sexy after 35.

OK, fine... I just want to see Ms. Harring in a metal breastplate holding a spear. So sue me...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I cane name a bunch of Actresses all in their late 30s early 40s that look beter now than when they did 15-20 years ago.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's about the money/financing and whether the production company is willing to take a risk on older actresses for roles like these (that usually call for a younger actress, especially if you are looking to option sequels in the event the first film is a success).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It isn't that an older woman isn't sexy, but it is getting someone who will still look good for potential sequals. When studios make movies like this, they are looking for franchises, not just one film. I can't see a studio having confidence in a 39 year old woman to hold up a franchise.

Jason

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Also there's the issue of character age. For the story to work in anything like its traditional telling, Wonder Woman would have to be fairly young when sent out from Paradise Island. If you're going to focus on Wonder Woman's origins in the first movie, you need a young actress.

Alternatively, they could just make a sequel to the Lynda Carter series. Lynda still looks good and I'm sure she'd be willing to ccome back. I like this idea, but I'm not sure how well it would go over with the mainstream.

Deborah*T

Agent
Is this gonna be one of those movies that is all rumours for years and is never gonna get made (like Bewitched)

I heard ages ago that Lucy Lawless had agreed to star in Wonderwoman and thought she would be great. Now who knows what on earth is happening.

Who will swing that rope of truth? Can't wait :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I read something on Bewitched the other day.
Nicole Kidman still wants to do it.

I think the thing with Lawless is people "perceive" her as a B-Actress. Kevin Sorbos movies didnt do well.I think she could do it with the right creative team involved.(hint:Richard Donner)

Some movies stay in preproduction for years before getting started. Planet Of the Apes was attached to Jim Cameron going back to True Lies. X-Men was in planning for over a decade before it finally got made.Superman is finally moving ahead and theyve been going back and forth on that one since the early-mid90s.

(I remember saying Hellboy and Last Samurai would NEVER get made and both are being done as we speak)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I remember the initial rumours about this film saying they had offered Mariah Carey the role, but she had turned it down. Thank God!!
You think that's bad? I'd take that in a minute over what I heard one time. I heard that The former pro wrestler known as Chyna wanted the part. Ugh. Now why anyone would put her in playboy, I don't know. Chin job or not.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
How about Shannon from the First Bachelor and making a nice return in The Bachlorette ? She was accused by some on this site as being an ice princess. Probably a fitting description. What better trait for Wonder Woman? What a perfect cartoon series for the 60's and 70's. A character who was not allowed to have a love interest.

The perfect audience would be the 10-14 year olds. It would have to have a G rating.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Rob T wrote (post #12):

Yes, well, the question is when are they "done right"? The ones I've seen have never been particularly satisfactory. (This from someone who collected almost all the Marvel and DC superhero comics as a kid.)

There's something about moving the static two-dimensional medium, the comic book page, onto the dynamic (quasi-)three-dimensional medium, film, that's never quite worked for me.

Apparently, producers have as much trouble translating the elaborate fantasies of the superhero comic to film as some fans have buying into live-action versions. Note, just as a small example, the controversies that always arise about the characters' uniforms---or, better put, their costumes---, with their exaggerated colors and fantastic designs. ("What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?") Will Hollywood ever truly be able to get a "grip" on the concept of a "silver surfer dude hanging ten" in outer space (another standby that's been in the wings for almost two decades now)??? (I doubt it.) Etc., etc., etc.

I do think that Wonder Woman, if "done right", would be---or, more accurately, would've been (in the '80s)---an excellent character to put onto screen. How to do it "right", though, without arriving at the disastrous "family-friendly" campiness of the Linda Carter tv version---that's not(!) meant as a criticism of the actress---or the silliness of Supergirl?

I seriously wonder whether her time has not passed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, to do Wonder Woman (or most comic characters) "right" - as in, remaining true to the book - you'd almost have to pull the entire DC Universe in with her. So much of all these characters nowadays is built on how they relate to other superheroes, or what they symbolize relative to each other.

This character is particularly tricky - she's supposed to be a sort of Ambassador to "man's world", but (and this is a problem with the source material) her message of peace sort of conflicts with the butt-kicking. And, to make matters worse, she really doesn't have a good nemesis. Who's the villain in this movie? For most other big superheroes, you know who it has to be right away - Luthor, Joker, Red Skull, the Green Goblin, Magneto - but who does Diana face off with? Cheetah? Circe? Ares? Artemis? I mean, geez, they had to import Bat-villains for the last really good story in the comics!

Note, just as a small example, the controversies that always arise about the characters' uniforms---or, better put, their costumes---, with their exaggerated colors and fantastic designs.
There's this faction of the fans that expects everything to be literal, and it just doesn't work that well to me. Part of the problem, I think, is that these movies are being set in the present day, rather than the times when the characters were created. Most of Marvel's are products of the sixties and seventies, and none fit in the fairly conservative fashion of the day. Superman's outfit was based on circus strongman costumes. Batman was supposed to recall Zorro. Wonder Woman... Well, I think much of hers came out of her creator's bondage fantasies (her main tool is a rope?).

I think, lately, folks have done pretty well. Spider-Man worked, and I think re-imagining the X-Men's outfits as uniforms rather than costumes was a stroke of genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks