possible blown subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Justin Brock, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Justin Brock

Justin Brock Auditioning

How hard is it to blow a subwoofer and how can u tell if it is broken,is there a in-between.I checked out my driver and it seems to be ok no tears.I had by receiver a little to loud the other day while i was calibrating it.I have jbl Pb10 it is only about a year old.
    When I was doing the bass response test from 15Hz and on it was popping at the lower Hz,but when i turned the level down it did not do it any more.Does any one know what caused that and if it did any damage to my sub.Any info would be appreciated thanks....

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

That sound might have been the voice coil former bottoming out against the back plate of the motor assembly. If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it. Just know that over time it causes damage.

If you want to know what it does to the voice coil former, take a tube from a roll of toilet paper and slam it down into the table a bunch of times and you will see what it is basically doing. One time a friend and I hooked up a boom box speaker to a normal stereo reciever and we played it at loud levels until it started doing this and then the former would start to scratch along in the magnetic gap, and then the driver blew, with a puff of smoke. The "bottoming out", as it is called, is a sign that you are pushing the driver too hard, mechanically. Then if you keep turning it up, you will eventually not only be exceeding the mechanical limit of the driver, but the thermal limit as well. *poof*

3. John S

John S Producer

15hz at volume to a PB10.. That is not a good idea for sure.

4. Justin Brock

Justin Brock Auditioning

Thanks for the info.I did a few for more tests on it and it sounds ok.Thanks again....

Justin Brock