Possible benefits of "stereo" subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

2. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

i use 5 powerd subs,two in front the mains are on top, two towers with built in subs for the surounds, one 15" powerd sub on the side for the mono sub, and it works real good. with this set up i found out that the tower speakers do not make good mains, they make better surounds. use your lfe out put from receiver to your mains subs split to your surrounds thats from right&left lfe out puts then run mono lfe to your main big sub thats if your receiver has 3 out puts for lfe i got the yamaha rx-v1 receiver that one has 3 out puts in lfe. if you can do dis it is a awesom set up. thank you, joe

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bob- I'm tempted to say "hogwash", but I'll wait until (hopefully) SVS Tom or Ron responds. [​IMG]
    BTW, a lot of expensive pre/pros and receivers don't even give the option of stereo subs. Mine, 2 sub outputs, but in mono.
    But I guess you *could* do speaker level connections to each sub, then use the sub's crossover, then to each main.

4. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi Kevin,

I do believe the L/R pre-outputs are used?

Cheers,

Mal

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I'm tempted to say "hogwash", but I'll wait until (hopefully) SVS Tom or Ron responds

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Kevin, a lot of expensive pre/pros and receivers don't even give the option of stereo subs, huh? Well...hehe...looks like people should get some powered towers. [​IMG]

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

It didn't take you long Bob as alvays!
    You not beating the horse you torturing it![​IMG]

9. Tom Vodhanel

There's the advanced algorithms that lexicon is TRYING to implement in a way to ease SOME of the inherent degradation associated with the *stereo* bass configuration...

...and there's the the practice of plopping a couple of bass modules on the left and right side of a room and claiming stereo bass rules...

Each group obviously has their share of soapbox heros...

TV

10. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I don't think you could tell an advantage from stereo subs.

I don't have a subwoofer but my mains are pretty fullrange (probably down somewhere 20-30Hz in room)... and I can localize the placement of low bass instruments and effects. But what I'm localizing isn't the actual low bass part (that would be played by a subwoofer). My ears can tell where the upper harmonics of that sound are coming from. The low part... (maybe

12. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

i would say that each channel should have a powered subwoofer that lets your speaker run 25,000 hz. to 80hz where work there best, usually a good 2 way satelite being all the same for all channels. get a pedestal the right height put on top of sub then put satelite set all speakers to small. get 1 main mono sub put to the room acoustics move around the room till right. it will be real hard to set up but wend you get it right it will be awesome thank you, joe

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

14. Tom Vodhanel

Well, I've been experimenting with stereo woofage for years. Currently I have 1 LFE woof( a PC+ [​IMG] ). And I'm running 4 other SVs for the stereo. I don't want to get into the whys of 4 right now...it would take too much time to fully explore.
    In a nutshell, if you're willing to place 4 large enclosures(I'll concede 2 here) anywhere in the room,spend countless hours tweaking their position with RTAs and listening tests,invest a lot money and time in EQs,and are flexible with the seating positions a bit.....Stereo woofage can lead to some pleasing experiences on occasions.
    For 99.9% of us(the sane majority)...It's about 100x more trouble than it's worth imo.
    TV

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I tried stereo subs and I had nothing but trouble. The bass cancellation and room modes drove me nuts and no EQ could compensate for that... As it is now, with a single Ultra and 4 full range speakers, I had alot of taming to do when I calibrated with all speakers driven. Finally, I really didn't notice much difference between stereo subs and a single well tuned mono sub with regard to directionality and imaging. Probably because nothing over 80Hz is ever directed to a sub with my primary speakers...

16. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I suspect that some people prefer "larger" speakers (and/or external sub) for the rear because it adds something to the rear soundstage which they feel is desireable. I also suspect that some people prefer near full range main speakers because it adds something to the front soundstage which they feel is desireable.

17. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I tried stereo subs and I had nothing but trouble. The bass cancellation and room modes drove me nuts and no EQ could compensate for that... As it is now, with a single Ultra and 4 full range speakers, I had alot of taming to do when I calibrated with all speakers driven. Finally, I really didn't notice much difference between stereo subs and a single well tuned mono sub with regard to directionality and imaging. Probably because nothing over 80Hz is ever directed to a sub with my primary speakers

18. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I feel that people should always stick to their preferences...if that is what makes them happy, then why not?

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

20. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Right on John [​IMG]