What's new

Possible benefits of "stereo" subs? (1 Viewer)

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
i use 5 powerd subs,two in front the mains are on top, two towers with built in subs for the surounds, one 15" powerd sub on the side for the mono sub, and it works real good. with this set up i found out that the tower speakers do not make good mains, they make better surounds. use your lfe out put from receiver to your mains subs split to your surrounds thats from right&left lfe out puts then run mono lfe to your main big sub thats if your receiver has 3 out puts for lfe i got the yamaha rx-v1 receiver that one has 3 out puts in lfe. if you can do dis it is a awesom set up. thank you, joe

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bob- I'm tempted to say "hogwash", but I'll wait until (hopefully) SVS Tom or Ron responds. :)
BTW, a lot of expensive pre/pros and receivers don't even give the option of stereo subs. Mine, 2 sub outputs, but in mono.
But I guess you *could* do speaker level connections to each sub, then use the sub's crossover, then to each main.

ling_w

Second Unit
Bob- I'm tempted to say "hogwash"

You better go say hogwash to David Griesinger of Lexicon, who has been a advocate of stereo/decorrelated bass and wrote many papers on it.

But I am not going to bother with sub mania, although I do have the option of having 3 subs coming out of my Meridian in a combinations of C, C-LFE, Sub, C/S, L/R, Sub/S, C/L/R...

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Kevin, a lot of expensive pre/pros and receivers don't even give the option of stereo subs, huh? Well...hehe...looks like people should get some powered towers. :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
There's the advanced algorithms that lexicon is TRYING to implement in a way to ease SOME of the inherent degradation associated with the *stereo* bass configuration...

...and there's the the practice of plopping a couple of bass modules on the left and right side of a room and claiming stereo bass rules...

Each group obviously has their share of soapbox heros...

TV

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
It didn't take you long Bob as alvays!
You not beating the horse you torturing it!
LOL Lewis...I had written that statement in jest. But let me just say...given some room to breathe on the sides, these built-in "stereo" subs are awesome. :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I don't think you could tell an advantage from stereo subs.

I don't have a subwoofer but my mains are pretty fullrange (probably down somewhere 20-30Hz in room)... and I can localize the placement of low bass instruments and effects. But what I'm localizing isn't the actual low bass part (that would be played by a subwoofer). My ears can tell where the upper harmonics of that sound are coming from. The low part... (maybe

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
i would say that each channel should have a powered subwoofer that lets your speaker run 25,000 hz. to 80hz where work there best, usually a good 2 way satelite being all the same for all channels. get a pedestal the right height put on top of sub then put satelite set all speakers to small. get 1 main mono sub put to the room acoustics move around the room till right. it will be real hard to set up but wend you get it right it will be awesome thank you, joe

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The guy sounds like he's got a preference, and as preferences go...his is definitely one. He doesn't seem to try to correlate sonic accuracy with any type of objective verification...which isn't a surprise.
Dang Tom! :)
I don't want to believe it matters *because* I can't do it (easily) with my pre pro. Not because I don't believe it can't offer benefits!
But then if you *do* have stereo subs, I presume that you don't stack them (in a corner), but place them near each main, which creates a while different set of problems with phase cancellation etc, n'est ce pas?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've been experimenting with stereo woofage for years. Currently I have 1 LFE woof( a PC+ :) ). And I'm running 4 other SVs for the stereo. I don't want to get into the whys of 4 right now...it would take too much time to fully explore.
In a nutshell, if you're willing to place 4 large enclosures(I'll concede 2 here) anywhere in the room,spend countless hours tweaking their position with RTAs and listening tests,invest a lot money and time in EQs,and are flexible with the seating positions a bit.....Stereo woofage can lead to some pleasing experiences on occasions.
For 99.9% of us(the sane majority)...It's about 100x more trouble than it's worth imo.
TV

J

John Morris

I tried stereo subs and I had nothing but trouble. The bass cancellation and room modes drove me nuts and no EQ could compensate for that... As it is now, with a single Ultra and 4 full range speakers, I had alot of taming to do when I calibrated with all speakers driven. Finally, I really didn't notice much difference between stereo subs and a single well tuned mono sub with regard to directionality and imaging. Probably because nothing over 80Hz is ever directed to a sub with my primary speakers...

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I suspect that some people prefer "larger" speakers (and/or external sub) for the rear because it adds something to the rear soundstage which they feel is desireable. I also suspect that some people prefer near full range main speakers because it adds something to the front soundstage which they feel is desireable.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I tried stereo subs and I had nothing but trouble. The bass cancellation and room modes drove me nuts and no EQ could compensate for that... As it is now, with a single Ultra and 4 full range speakers, I had alot of taming to do when I calibrated with all speakers driven. Finally, I really didn't notice much difference between stereo subs and a single well tuned mono sub with regard to directionality and imaging. Probably because nothing over 80Hz is ever directed to a sub with my primary speakers

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I feel that people should always stick to their preferences...if that is what makes them happy, then why not?

J

John Morris

I suspect that some people prefer "larger" speakers (and/or external sub) for the rear because it adds something to the rear soundstage which they feel is desireable. I also suspect that some people prefer near full range main speakers because it adds something to the front soundstage which they feel is desireable.
Bob: Yup, I prefer full range in the rear because I started really liking multi channel SACD music discs. I have always preferred full range in the front, because I have always loved music and most of it is correctly delivered to us in two channel form... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks