What's new

Possible amp damage with mismatched speakers? (1 Viewer)

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I remember from my early 2 channel days being warned against mixing speakers of differing resistances. But with the multichannel formats today is that still a concern? For instance I have an Adcom amp that would use one channel to power my 4 ohm SVS sub and the other a 6 ohm Kef rear speaker.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be too concerned with most of the current high output multichannel amps.
At even moderate volumes, you should be ok.
Check the specs of the amp in question and maybe give there tech line a call if you still aren't sure.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Shouldn't be a concern. Most decent separate amps are able to handle 4 ohms and are stable into 2-3 ohm range. Check to see if your amp has rail fuses. You can ask the manufacturer about this. Most amps have rail fuses in the output stages that blow out if an excessive current demand is made on the stage. If that the case in your amp you dont have to worry. Even otherwise I wouldnt be too concerned as ADCOM makes pretty high current amps that would stand the rigors of low impedance loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.