What's new

Possible alternative to tube preamp? (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
I used to own a tube preamp and have regretted it ever since the day that I gave it up. However, I do like the self sufficient nature of solid state and decided to stay with it for now. Fortunately, I ran into a piece of Pro Audio gear that has me really excited about bringing some of the 'Warmth' of tubes back into my system without giving up my solid state gear.
The unit I'm speaking of is the Behringer Tube Ultra Q EQ. I don't really want to use the unit for the EQ section but for the tube characteristics it provides. It allows you to bypass the EQ section entirely and just use the unit as a tube interface which is what attracts me the most as well as the fact as you being able to dial in as much 'warmth' as you see fit. Also, I can dial out all tube characteristics when I want to, giving me the solid state sound all over when desired.
Here's the link:
Behringer Tube Ultracurve Q
The price is $199.00 on the web. Does anyone have any obvious reasons why you shouldn't incorporate this unit in a 2-channel system. I am currently running my CD player directly to my amp and plan to put the Ultra Curve inbetween them.
Thanks for any replies.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
It looks interesting Martice. Are you familiar with the Bottlehead tube pre? Something like that could be sweet as well.

Martice

Screenwriter
No Charles, I haven't heard of the Bottle Head. Well actually, I did hear of them but I'm not familiar with their products. Care to enlighten me? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
not familiar with it myself Martice, but certainly interesting. as i see it, there are two potential drawbacks, one of which i'm not sure of.
1) all the tube people i know love playing with swapping out tubes...can you do this with this particular unit?
2) Martice, it just isn't expensive enough! Please give me 975 dollars, I'll buy it and resell it to you!

all kidding aside, it's intriguing and Behringer has a decent reputation. who knows, maybe the equalization may be an unknown bonus!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks