Posse - Hats off to Paramount

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent Avery, May 11, 2004.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Feb 19, 2002
    I had never heard of this film up until I found it as a new release from Paramount ( May 11 ). I can't say enough good things about this movie. I didn't expect much from it given its theatrical release date of 1975 - Westerns were pretty well dead by then and I thought it would be passable at best. Well, the performance by Bruce Dern was top notch and he was in great form - I was thinking he might have been a character such as he played in the Cowboys with John Wayne - he was not nearly as mean hearted but still the bad guy here - just very quick thinking and more laid back. And Kirk Douglas was good as the sheriff who along with his posse were after Dern and his gang. Most of the film concerns the incarceration of Dern and his ongoing efforts to escape. It was a pleasant surprise and I enjoyed it alot and the gist of it is: Who really is the bad guy? The film itself looks very good and the audio was more than adequate. It has a remixed Dolby 5.1 soundtrack but I only listened to the stereo ( or mono - I can't remember which it had) Either way it came across well enough. Oar is 2:35 and it is" enhanced for widescreen tvs ". And for what Paramount is charging it is well worth a purchase. As is the norm for these bargain priced releases there is no liner.
  2. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Mar 14, 1999
    The first PG movie my parents let me see.

Cool (I was 15 at the time, and had very strict parents...)
  3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

Apr 14, 2003
    Thanks Brent; Paramount have decided to ditch the extras these days, but their transfers are pretty good. Another one ordered!

So many films, so little time...