What's new

Position of Center channel and TV (1 Viewer)

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still setting up this new entertainment center. There are some real challanges in it. I'm trying to find the best setup for hte center speaker and TV. I think I have three choices. 1) Center below TV. This puts the center lower than the listener and the TV right at the listeners level. 2) put the center above the TV but inside the Entertainment center. This puts the Center speaker just above the listener and the TV just below the viewer. 3) This option may not be an option since my wife doesn't really like it. Put center speaker on top of hte Entertainment center. Put TV on a riser in the unit and the VCR under the riser. This frees up some space in the rack section, puts the TV at the viewer's level and puts the Center speaker above the listener.
With my Paradigm center in the unit I will just be able to fit a 32" Sony WEGA, which I plan to get sometime soon. Might be tight though....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
------------------

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be a tough-call between options #1 and #2. Let me tell you my thoughts:
Option #1: Center below the TV
(I'm assuming that this means the center is on a small floor-stand in front of the TV and not enclosed in box under the TV body)
A lot of people have done this, being careful to allow some upward tilt to point at the listeners head.
The problem is that as sounds swirl across your front speakers, there is a "dip" in location. There is also the poor SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) for having a speaker on the floor in front of the TV.
Option #2: Center above the TV
I think most of us have this configuration. It's good as the tweeters on all 3 front speakers are near the same height. It's also a good idea to have little "feet" under the speaker to provide tilt, and isolate the speaker from the top of the TV/shelf.
The bad part is speakers tend to sound much better given some space around them. Putting the center in a enclosed area in a cabinent CAN compromise the sound. You just have to try it and hear for yourself.
Of the two options, I'd go for #2.

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
For #1 I would have the speaker in the Cabinet below the TV. Until I make a spacer for the TV I actually the the TV sitting right on top of the center speaker. The 27" I have now has a base that's the same size as the speaker so the load is not too bad. I do plan on getting some rubber bumpers to put on the center speaker to help aim it and isolate it from the cabinet.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks