What's new

Poseidon Adventure Remake Sinks (1 Viewer)

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

Considered? what are they waiting for? it's been four years.

I doubt we'll ever see a movie about the actual 9/11 events. Maybe something similar, based on the events. I think from a purely technical standpoint it would be difficult and would people want to see it. Big risk.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, it also has to do with the 'times'. When the original came out, it was easier to scare audiences. Now it's more difficult. I'm sure that's why they added the "terrorist" angle to it. To invoke SOME sort of fear in the viewers.

Just like Psyhco, you couldn't do the same shower scene and have the same impact on today's audiences. That's why remakes of classic films don't exactly capture the same 'feeling'.

Is the original Poseidon Adventure 'far superior'? Probably not, but it is when you consider it's impact on the audience during it's initial release.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Watched it last nite. Some VERY cringe-worthy moments, especially in the Guttenberg, massage therapist bit.
I completely agree that the cross-cutting to the recue attempts were completely pointless and really blew any atmosphere or feeling of dread or suspense. Gee, did we really think that some characters wouldn't make it after devoting almost an hour of screen time to the "rescuers"?
Also it seemed like there WAS always some music playing which got tiring. It was good to see Hauer, Weller and Baldwin doing their thing. But The Hauer character being so altered from Hackman's template was a mistake IMHO. What made Hackman's character so interesting is that he was such a "rebel" religiously and the scene where he sacrifices himself was truly moving.

Anyways, it had a couple of neat moments but really all it was make me want to watch the original again. Wish they would give us a decent anamorphic transfer of it and "Towering"....

:) d

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I am, by my own admission, the biggest push-over on Earth, but just so we're clear, that bit about Adam Sandler being in a 9/11 film IS a joke right?

BTW, it WAS the Ny-Quil. :b

I just watched it again now that i'm not higher than a kite on the green stuff and it was pretty bad this time. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a joke, I think the Sandler one is about a man who lost his family on September 11. So I guess the movie doesn't take place then as much as it deals with the effects of the day on a person.

It doesn't sound like his old 'make baby noises and scream' comedies. :)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Would it have been more realistic if it had been Nazi's? :rolleyes

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

How about the French rioters turned pirates? :)

"Sacre' Bleu! Zee champagne on zee boat is really just a sparkiling Californian white! Bring out le Bazooka!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks