Poseidon Adventure Remake Sinks

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ed Vandeweerd, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

In Viewing the Remake of 1972's "Poseidon Adventure" one can't be left with anything but a Sinking Feeling. First off the Remake bears Little resemblance to the 1972 Original which started the Disaster Film Craze. This Poseidon is not Capsized by a 90 Foot Tidal Wave. It Has the Ship Bombed into Capsizing by Terrorists who predictably are Middle Eastern in Origin. In a Strange Homage to the Author the Captain who's name in the Original was Captain Harrison but creditted as "The Captain" in the Remake is Paul Gallico. The Cast has an Aging Rutger Hauer in the Gene Hackman Role as the Priest who is experiencing a crisis in Faith. Bryan Brown (The Thornbirds), Steve Guttenberg (Police Academy's Mahoney) and Adam Baldwin also star. The Film in my viewpoint would have benefitted by an updating of the Original Screenplay with the Use of CG to Give us what truly could have been an Amazing Tidal Wave sequence. The Film is Overly Long 3 hours with commercials. This is Arguably the Worst Remake of a Film in recent Memory and contrary to NBC's description of a "Movie Event" in actuality a "Non Event". The Original 1972 Film is a Classic not to be missed. The Remake is a "Bomb" You Can and Should Miss This Painful Adaptation. That's My Rant For Tonight

Ed

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You decided all this based on watching the first 90 minutes?

3. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Stunt Coordinator

The terrorist sub-plot was unnecessary, the tidal wave was better in the original. Hopefully, the movie version (with Kurt Russell) will be better.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I liked it, but then again i'm sick right now so it might be the Ny-Quil talking. [​IMG]

It was nice seeing Peter Weller again, though, I was half hoping that he would return as RoboCaptain. [​IMG]

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Can someone explain to me how this TV remake and the currently filming big-budget theatrical remake (Poseidon, directed by Wolfgang Peterson, is due to hit the big screen next summer) both got greenlit at pretty much the same time? Didn't anyone think this was a bad idea??

6. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Reading all the production reports for Wolfgang Peterson's take on Poseidon have me anticipating it much more than I thought I would. I almost didn't watch this because I'm looking forward to the theatrical one so much. Curses for not following my instincts.

7. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

The remake on NBC was godawful.

That said the Peterson's cinema remake has to be merely servicable to be better.

ILM is doing the effects. That alone should guarantee something interesting.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Having the crew of the Love Boat on a capsized boat would have been more entertaining.
    Similar only that this ship is full of mostly has-been actors and is nowhere near as good as the original. And I thought they couldnt get worse than Beyond the Poseidon Adventure!

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Wow. Was it THAT bad? I tivo'd it, (in HD too!)
    Is it even fun in a "so bad it's enjoyable" way?

[​IMG]

And considering that the Seaborn Spirit, (which my sister actually used to work on!) recently had an attempted pirate attack with rocket launched grenades, is a terrorist angle so farfetched?

[​IMG]

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I started fast forwarding through parts because it was just so bad. Even the ship turning over was a big disappointment.
    I do have faith in the big screen version though.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

dang

Now I wanna watch the original

I bet they'll NEVER even go near "Towering Inferno". Not after NYC had it's own real life version.

12. Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't be surprised if 9/11 scripts were already being considered. Hollywood will try to cash in on anything. I'm expecting a romance.

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I knew it was going to be pretty bad when the description (in the digital TV guide) said something to the effect of:

"...a remake of the far superior..."

14. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Both Oliver Stone and Adam Sandler are currently making 9/11 movies.

15. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

Adam Sandler????!!!! How long till Rob Scneider makes one??
    I always loved Poseidon and Towering Inferno growing up. My Mom took me to San Francisco to see some of the buidings they filmed it in.

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Rob Scneider will be staring in "The Poseidon Inferno" - It's a movie about a skyscraper that falls into the ocean and everyone is trapped inside. [​IMG]

17. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    And why is anyone surpised that this turned out to be a bomb? No pun inteneded.

18. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

Rob Scneider will be making an amazing picture combining Towering Inferno and Earthquake.

title will be "Shake and Bake"

19. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

That joke was old in 1974! [​IMG]

20. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm sorry but I can't see that much difference between this one and the original. The whole terorist angle was ridiculous but I guess they figured since there have been so many movies with huge tidal waves (Abyss, Day After Tomorrow, Deep Impact) in the intervening years that something "new" was needed. The cast in the original was hardly made of "hot" actors. Apart from Hackman who had just come off The French Connection the year before most of them were has beens and virtual unknowns.

I'm not saying I liked this version but saying the original was "far superior" is stretching it a bit. Especially when you consider this was just a made for TV movie. The script was virtually the same apart from the aforementioned terrorist plot and some of the characters were different (the marriage split with Guttenbergs character etc). I thought the CGI effects were pretty good for a TV movie. The same thing bothered me about this movie that always bothered me about these big disaster movies and that is when they spend the first half of the movie developing characters so that when they eventually bite the dust you will "care about them". It never works for me.

Still I look forward to seeing what Peterson does with it. Will the wave be as big as the one he created for The Perfect Storm? or will he outwave himself?