Ports?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by William_Gravem, Aug 27, 2004.

1. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Please excuse this novice question, but why do some speakers have ports while others don't?

From my neophyte understanding, speakers with ports are able to achieve deeper frequencies, however if you have a good sub, the sub will handle those frequencies instead so the port is only useful for systems w/out subs. Also, associated with all ports is a resonance frequency, so while adding a port allows more bass, the cost associated with this is that it messes something else up.

Now, I'm considering getting Paradigm Monitor 5's or perhaps a pair of Axiom M22ti's (nervous about the lack of side-by-side trials, but I like everything I've heard) and an SVS or Hsu sub... but both these speakers have ports. So is this silly? Am I wasting my money on a speaker that can hit especially low frequencies that I won't need?

Do I have this right? Is this something I really need to worry about?

---Bill

2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Bill - Both ported and sealed design have merits, and either will sound great if designed properly. The Axioms you mentioned are a wonderful speaker for the money. Couple a pair of those with a Hsu or SVS sub, and you will have a VERY high qualiity system...

3. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Craig.

The Axioms are very promising... I'm just a little concerned about the way "s"'s sound and their center channels b/c I've read some negative reviews. Hopefully soon I'll be able to track down one of the guys on their website who offer to demo their speakers so I can give them a listen for myself.

A co-worker put the bug in my ear that ported speakers were a waste if I'm getting a decent sub. Sounds like it's really not anything to worry too much about.

4. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Bill... The co-worker means well... but what he should have said is that, with a good subwoofer, you don't need 40 Hz bass from your satellites. Ported or sealed, it would not matter.

You may also want to look at the Ascend 170 ($328 per pair) and Rocket ELT/CSE ($495 per pair) ... Both are excellent speakers.. and don't have the emphasis on the upper treble you mentioned.