Portishead, Roseland NYC, Why no center?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Butch C, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I just purchased my first concert DVD and I find there is absolutly nothing coming from the center channel, is this normal for music related software and if so why does it say 5.1 on the case?

2. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I have a couple of music DVDs that are mixed that way for some reason. I'd say your disc is probably normal.

3. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

That doesn't sound normal to me. I have 30 or so concert dvd's and all of them have utilized the center channel. It sounds like you may have a defective dvd. If I were you I'd return it for another copy and see if that one works.

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

It's normal...I have the DVD. It's just mixed that way for some reason. Too bad that lots of Dolby Digital remixes seem to be done on autopilot.

5. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I don't recommend having the center channel turned on for concert stuff. It's best to have a phantom center when listening to concert type music. It's great that Concert DVDs are encoded to not have sound come out of the center. Having a Center channal, IMO, kinda makes it sound less natural. I don't mind a center for movies and stuff, and some music. But for stuff with lots of sound and stuff, it sound better with the center off and having a phantom center.