Porter Cable cordless drills any good.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Thinking of getting my dad a cordless drill for Christmas. Costco has the Porter Cable 9824 for $220CDN (~$140USD). Any opinions one way or the other? Other recommendations?

2. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I have one and they are great. Mine came with a flash light and 2 batteries.

3. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I use a Dewalt and have been very happy with it for 5 years. I am also impressed with their customer service. About six months ago the the charger melted a battery. I figured out the charger was broken so I went to buy a new one(and a new battery), and the Dewalt service center guy said that it would be covered under warranty and replaced it along with the melted battery. Not bad for being four years out of warranty.

Regards
    KrisM

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Check out this deal.
    ToolKing has the Makita 9.6 V on sale for $80 after rebate. I have 8 of these already and just bought 2 more. Hell, the batteries sell for $30 a piece. Not for the huge drilling jobs, but will drill and run screws all day. Great combination of power, size and weight.
    Pete

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Porter Cable makes some very nice tools but I have to second the Dewalt line. I have an 18 volt cordless that I have had for four years & couldn't begin to tell you the hell I have put this thing through. The first two years I had it I worked in a Boat Design Shop & it got more abuse than I thought it could ever stand up to. Anything from being dropped from 10' & better heights to being run over & kicked around & covered in fiberglass resin. And the scary part is I haven't had the slightest problem out of it, not even so much as needing to replace a battery pack & on average they would get recharged around 4 to 5 times a day for each of the two packs that it came with.
    Like I said Porter Cable makes some very nice stuff too as we did have some of there products that held up very well also but, I wouldn't trade my Dewalt for nothing. For the crap I have put it through they have earned a dedicated costumer [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

Porter Cable makes a great drill, I have the 19.2 volt version and it is a workhorse. I can drill 1 inch holes in 8x8's all day long, switching batteries every hour or two. (Well, maybe more often than that, but it rocks!)

The only real competition is Dewalt, who also makes a great drill. Which is better? The one you can get the best deal on.

There is a great story about the Dewalt revival, but most of you don't care and its sort of long so I'll only tell it if someone asks.

Bill

7. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Dustin,

Go for the product that gives you the most options and quickest battery cycle time for the price. Go for the 'Heavy Duty' models if your price point allows it.

I bought Makita for quite a while and have gone back to DeWalt products (Home Hardware stores carry them).

Be aware that the Porter Cable products are good, however, Costco is probably grey marketing them into Canada. Check if the Manufacturers Warranty is in effect, or just Costco's.

8. Dave_Mu

Dave_Mu Extra

I install broadband internet for a living. I don't imagine you can put a drill to a better test... my drill gets abused in every way you can imagine. I use a Dewalt. Everybody I work with uses a Dewalt.

For now and again, around the house use just about anything is fine. Anything more, and I would go with Dewalt.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Thanks for the info guys. I went and visited a few places today.

I guess I'm deciding between the Porter Cable 9824 ($220CDN) and the Dewalt 928K2 ($250CDN).

I think the 928 would be better compared to the Porter Cable 9876. Am I correct?

Dewalt says 1hr charge time. Can't find the Porter Cables listed. The Porter Cable site lists an amp/hour rating for it's batteries. How important is this (Dewalt doesn't list this)?

From your comments and for an extra $30 I'm leaning toward the Dewalt right now.

10. Chad Kuypers

Chad Kuypers Stunt Coordinator

I own 5 cordless drills. One is a right angle drill and the rest are "standard" drills. Buy a Porter Cable. For the same amount of money, the Porter Cable always has slightly more power than a DeWalt. Look at Random Orbiter sanders, Routers, etc. and this trend occurs in everything they make.

Porter Cable uses all ball bearings and all metal gears in every product. I own 2 Porter Cable routers, 2 PC Random Orbital Sanders, a PC jigsaw, etc. These are not necessarily the ones I started out with. I ended up with them because they NEVER break.

DeWalt and Porter Cable are both excellent and you will probably be happy either way. Just remember that Porter Cable is made by Delta, and DeWalt is made by Black and Decker. Just my two cents...

11. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Dustin, I'm not familiar with the model numbers but I can tell you that almost every Dewalt I have used or seen says 1hr charge. But mine & others I have used when completely drained only take around 20 to 25 minutes to completely recharge & will last for around 45min to a hour of heavy use. If you drain the battery down completely they will charge better & last quite a bit longer for both run time & the overall life of them.
    One other nice thing you can always find that big bright yellow thing no matter where you set it down[​IMG]

12. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

One thing you should also keep in mind with the Dewalts is that there are two different types of batteries. The model you are looking at is the lesser of the two. For the price of a 14.4V with the smaller batteries you may be able to afford a 12V with the extended life batteries. I am not sure which would be a better way to go with this. The extended life models do have a more comfortable rubber grip as well.
    As far as Porter Cable having more power their web site does not support this as far as these drills are concerned. The Porter's torque is listed at 310in-lbs and the Dewalt at 350in-lbs. The Dewalt also has a larger range of speeds on its second speed setting. How much this will matter depends on the person using it I guess.
    I am not saying that the Porter Cable is not a great drill though. For that kind of money you should get an excellent drill with either company.

Regards
    KrisM

13. Jon_Skiffington

Jon_Skiffington Auditioning

Can't comment on Dewalt's tools, as I haven't used them. I have heard good things about them though.

I've got Porter Cable, Makita, and Black & Decker cordless drills, and the Porter Cable is excellent! The Makita wasn't bad, but the trigger on it is shot now after years of use, so it's pretty much on the scrapheap at this point.

Jon