Ported vs. sealed speakers for HT/music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duane H, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Duane H

Duane H Agent

I am considering 5 identical direct-radiating speakers all around (+ subwoofer) for my HT/music system. It is my understanding that ported speakers give more bass than non-ported ones of similar configuration, while sealed speakers are quicker-responding. In other words, ported might be preferable for music and sealed for HT. If correct, is there really a significant, i.e. readily detectable, difference when using these different speaker types with music? With HT? Thanks.

2. Duane H

Duane H Agent

Anyone?

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Many of today's speakers have small drivers which are very quick, regardless of whether the boxes are ported or not. I'm not an expert, but I would think that the combination of small drivers and rear porting gives a speaker with quick response, good bass, and lower cost.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Realistically, I believe it falls to a matter of personal preference.
    For example, I, personally, have yet to hear a ported speaker that I liked the sound of.
    Granted, I haven't auditioned really expensive ported ones, but the ones I have listened to tended to have a really ugly bass hump, and sounded very boomy.
    It also depends on what you mean by "music."
    I hate muddy classical music.
    My best experience with other forms of music and their bass requirements comes from feeling cars driving by on the highway behind my house...and it makes me wonder.
    If a car sound system has ported speakers inside it, perhaps using the trunk space as a resonate cavity, but all of the windows are rolled up, what kind of speaker system does the entire car become?
    Apart, that is, from a car owned and operated by a deaf driver.
    Anyway, back to the subject at hand, my blanket recommendation would be to go with sealed boxes for everything (including subwoofers,) unless you really needed the thump. That obviously won't work for everyone, so it really falls back to the old adage of let your own ears be your guide.
    Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John