What's new

ported or sealed sub? (1 Viewer)

I currently have a JBL PSW1000, and it's just not cutting it. I typically like the tight sound of sealed subs better then the sloppy sound of ported subs. However, I have not heard a properly built ported enclosure. I've only heard retail boxes which are usually small and ported around 35 or 40Hz.

I am contemplating building a 15" sealed Quatro in a ~3 cu ft box or a 12" Quatro in a ~3 cu ft box ported at 20 Hz. I use my system about 85% for HT, and about 15% for music. Whichever I end up building will be powered with a 240W plate amp from PE.

What are the drawbacks or advantages for each of these designs? With room gain and a BFD, would I be able to get enough boost in the 20-40Hz range to achieve a relatively flat response from the sealed 15"?

Max F

Second Unit
One guy on the Parts Express message board has ported quatro. He stuffs it with a nerf football when he plays music. Best of both world, i guess.

If I were you, i would go for the ported, especially since you are doing more HT. From my limited experience you can make a sealed sub sound like a ported sub with EQ buy adding gain on the low end (group delay is increase considerably). You can also make a ported sub sound like a sealed sub buy taking out room peaks. Room peaks, IMHO, are the cause (audible) of fat, slow bass. So, do a ported and EQ with a BFD. If you don't want to EQ, then go with a sealed. Or if you've got a nerf football, do a ported and stuff it during music. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Keck

Second Unit
One guy on the Parts Express message board has ported quatro. He stuffs it with a nerf football when he plays music. Best of both world, i guess.

I'm not that guy, but I did cop his basic design. I made mine taller and not as deep. It calls for a 5.6 cubic foot box. I play a lot of acoustic bass. I have played Saint-Saens's 3rd symphony (wlith the low C organ note). I don't bother with plugging the portfor music, although I have tried it. It sounds fine with the port open. I did not try a movie with the port plugged, so I can't comment on how a sealed Quatro 15 would work for movies. However, if you are comparing it to your JBL sub, I would be surprised if the Quatro did not smoke it no matter what configuration you choose.

I recommend it wihthout reservation and predict that you will love it. There are other guys on the PE board that have compared the Quatro with more expensive PE drivers and insist that it sounds better.

In short, I second Max F's recommendation.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You should read the How to Select an Enclosure article that I wrote. That has lots of information on subwoofer design.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Depending on the drivers in question, it could even go lower and/or louder with less distortion. Or something like that. A 15" would require a bigger box, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks