What's new

Ported box calculations (1 Viewer)

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Hello again. I'm still playing with Unibox, and trying to learn about building a vented design. I've built sealed enclosures before, but vented is a new thing for me.

I understand that below a box's tuning frequency, the driver will "unload" because there is no airspring behind it like in a sealed box. Response and power handling drop way down.

The thing I'm not sure of is, how does one choose a tuning frequency? I've heard of "tuning" a ported box. Does this mean I'd build the box and tune it later by changing the length of the port?

Any hints, advice, links to more info, will be greatly appreciated.

-Joe

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd use a software program to model the response of a speaker that you're designing. Play with the box volume and the tuning frequency until you achieve a frequency response you like.

I'd also keep in mind the "Q" of the sub which is like how chesty "Impact" or smooth your bass will have.

I think of it as playing with a few variables and making any sacrifices until you've designed a subwoofer you think you'll like.

If you post your driver model and how big the box you'd like to build i'm sure you'll get some recommendations on a tuning frequency. What'll also help is what type of bass sound you're looking for.

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't decided on a driver yet. I've been looking at the Adire ShivaIII or DPL-12. I just started looking at some of the Dayton drivers, as well. The Shiva has a reference design for the EBS alignment that ends up at 142.5l. 22.5" cube. I can live with that size, I think.

I'm looking to use the system about 50/50 HT/Music. I'd like really deep bass extension, but I don't require high SPL. So, I'd like accurate, deep bass.

I'm using Unibox to model the design. It's just a lot of new variables for the ported system.

How does my Q relate to impact or smoothness? ie, high Q = ? And do you mean the Q of the sub itself, or the system? I notice ported systems don't have a Qtc like a sealed system does.

Thanks,

-Joe

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I've been playing with the DPL-12. This looks a little too good to be true...Let me know if I'm on the right track here. The freq response graph looks dead flat until about 20hz, then rolls off smoothly.

Click here to see the plot from Unibox.

Here's the stats I came up with. Fb of 15.5hz! I used 2x 3" ports. They end up being 14" long. The box is 22.5". The driver's Qts is 0.40.

No of ports 2
Inside port dia. 7.62cm
Port area 91.21cm2
Port end correction 0.646

Physical Vb 142.5l
Absorption, Qa 20
Leakage, Ql 30
Port, Qp 120
Alpha, a 0.986
Vb 151.2l
Fb 15.50Hz
F3 14.72Hz
Response peak 0.37dB
Peak at 29.92Hz
Port length 70.80cm
Port 1. resonance 231Hz

-Joe

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

I think you need to double check your port lengths. If I use 2 3" ports I get upwards of 30" lengths.

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

The information above is cut n' pasted from Unibox. The port length is 70.80cm, which is 27.87". Based on the fact that the length doubled when I switched from 1 to 2 ports, I assumed that value was the TOTAL length of both ports. Which is where I came up with 14" per port.

Is that a bad assumption?

-Joe

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If the software tells you to use 28" then that's what you'll have to use for both ports.

I'd try and get those port lengths shorter, even if you have to create a slight hump in the response by tuning it higher.

Remember that the in-room frequency response will probably be different than that software sim.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Strangley enough, the more ports (i.e. surface area for the ports) you add, the longer the ports will be (for a specific tuning frequency in the same sized enclosure). That's just how it works.

So it comes down to a trade-off between port noise and port length. Use a small port, and you could get port noise, but the port length will be shorter. Use a wider port, get less port noise, but the port length gets longer. (using multiple ports can be treated like using a wider port).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

Nope, that's 27.87" for each port. Which means you'll have smoke stacks sticking up out of your box!:)

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
HA! The image of the subs with huge stacks sticking out is pretty damn funny :)

I'll finegle the numbers and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help,

-Joe

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if I keep the box the same size (142.5l) and make a single port 4" dia, 14" long, it tunes to 19.50hz. There's a 3db bump at 24hz. What does that mean for me, sonically speaking?

-Joe

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

You don't want a peak in the response like that. It'll increase the port air speed at 24Hz and possibly push it into the audible range.

Also, do you have some kind of fixation with 14" long ports?

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
LOL Actually yes...yes I do...

No, I don't have a fixation. It just worked out that way. I didn't want to make it so long that it butts up against the other side of the cabinet, but the shorter I make it, the higher Fb gets, and the bigger the bump gets. I'm still learning, take it easy on me :)

[Edit] That said, is there a general minimum distance the end of the port should be kept from the other side of the cabinet? [/Edit]

-Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks