Portablizing DVD-A and SACD - observations.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If this breaks forum rules, mods, please delete. Not sure if it will (I don't think so).

I have about 5-6 each of DVD-Audio Discs and SACDs. Since most of these I do not have on CD, I like to make a CD copy of the stereo music for carrying around in the car, office, etc. The way I make CDs is to play from MiniDisc to my computer using a digital cable.

For SACDs that are not hybrids all I do is hook the analog L/R cables to my MiniDisc deck and send the monitor to my computer. Recently I did this by recording to MiniDisc from the Yes: Fragile and Donald Fagan: The Nightfly DVD-Audio Discs.

Now, I've been frustrated with PCM stereo concert discs in the past because they've always been coy protected - the MD recorder says "CANNOT COPY" instead of copying.

But the DVD-As, playing the tracks, just made perfect digital copies.

The results are stunning, even from SACD with the multiple formnat A-D conversion. In the case of Queen's "A Night At The Opera" I think that my downconverted-from-DVD-A CD may sound better than the commercially available CD (I went straight to the computer, no MD phase on that one).

Here's what confuses me. These formats are supposed to be so copy-protected, but they're no more difficult to copy than my LP records are. And the copies are excellent. So what's the big deal with "Copy protection" on these formats? Seems to me that it's pretty much non-existant. Heck, even SCMS (like all the Classic DADs that I have) is more effective than whatever SACD and DVD-A are using currently, at least in my experience.

Am I missing something?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard of a SACD player that would output SACD via the digital outs. Analog, yes.

The way I read your post, you are capturing the ANALOG output, not a "direct digital copy," hence the lack of copy protection.

AKA The analog hole.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

4. Michael St. Clair

I have had decent results with my Panasonic RP82 copying to minidisc using an optical connection. The player downrezzes the DVD-A to 16/48, passes this to optical, then the Minidisc recorder converts it to 16/44.1 when recording.

However, I've noticed sometimes I have to start playing the multichannel version first, then switch to the stereo version with the Minidisc recorder still running.

This leads me to believe that I have found a bug in the RP82.

5. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Just to see what it would sound like, I recorded my Allison Krause SACD onto 1/4" tape at 19ips using my Pioneer RT-707 last night. It sounded great, better than any CD or MP3 around. I just don't have a player for my car that takes 7" reels.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The record labels do not want consumers to be able to copy in the digital domain because that, in essence, would give us access to the master tape due to the high resolution of DVD-Audio and SACD. There will always be some sound degradation in recording in the analog domain to a CD.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Phil, My MD's and CD's made off of SACD's analog outputs are also utterly fabulous. Vinyl is right up there too. Copy Protection is akin to screen doors on submarines. [​IMG]

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor