What's new

Portable table saw recomendation? (1 Viewer)

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I give up on my circular saw, rip guide, and straight edge; meaning I need a table saw of the portable flavor because I prefer to do my cutting outside and want to move it between there and storage in the garage (less than ten feet).

Given various package deals including the stand, there is not an interesting difference in price between the Porter Cable, Bosch, and DeWalt.

Suggestions?

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
porter cable has always been on the top of my list, the thing is the portablity part will mean that it won't be ass good, with as many features and size motor. personally i would go with a nice big, perminate, table saw then be out side with a filmsy one. IMO

Darren_T

Second Unit
Well, it all depends on your definition of portable. I'd buy nothing less than a contractor style table saw. Brands I'd consider are Jet, Delta, or Grizzly. You can get a mail order Grizzly contractor style table saw for about 400 bucks or a Jet for between 600 - 800 bucks. I personally would stay away from the "portable" saws. They are all direct drive and lack torque. They work for lots of things but have their limitations. A contractor style table saw with a mobile base is very portable. I have a 3 horsepower cabinet saw that weighs in at 400 lbs on a mobile base and I move that thing around everywhere without trouble...as long as it's on cement :)
If you intend to use this saw for hobby work or think you'll use it as a regular hobby you would do yourself a favor to consider a contractor style saw. The fence is much more accurate on these saws also.
Just my two cents since I went through the same thing once also.
Darren

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
I have used my good old Delta Contractors saw, priced right and comes with a unifence under $600.00 i hot wired the motor to run 220 vac less stalling on ripping boards.

I have used the same saw for 20 years, i also used the delta unisaw 220 vac unit not much difference but that sucker wont move and has a better table and fencing.

that one is the floor mount unit.

Will

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
Don't overlook the new Ryobi BT3100 (or a used BT3000, if you can find one). The BT3100 is $300 and showing up now in Home Depots. It is portable (weighs ~100lbs) - the $25 Harbor Freight Mobile Base makes it extremely easy for me to move my BT3000 around. Has a bevy of standard items, like a sliding mitre table (a $300 extra on a Delta).

Most importantly the rip fence, once setup, is dead nuts accurate.

Take care.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Darren. Buy a full-size table saw and a caster set so you can easily move it. You'll appreciate the table size because if you'll be slicing and diceing half-sheets of wood, it's much easier on a full size table. Also, the fence will be more accurate/beefier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks