Portable Screens, such as the Da-Lite Deluxe Insta-Theater

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jay Taylor, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Have any of you tried a pull-up portable screen such as the Da-Lite Deluxe Insta-Theater screen or something similar?

Da-Lite Deluxe Insta-Theater

The 44” x 78” (90” Diagonal) screen has a gain of 2.2 and is an acetate based material with a smooth surface that can be rolled and cleaned with mild soap and water solution.

I currently have a 36” tube & surround sound system that I will be keeping in the living room. I want some type of portable screen to be placed in front of the TV for a front projector. I will eventually convert the den to a home theater with a fixed screen but want to have a temporary front projector setup in the living room now.

At times I need to be able to completely remove the screen to make the living room look better. The tall cathedral ceiling in the living room is a problem for easily removing a drop-down screen which is why I’m considering a pull-up screen.

2. Jay Taylor

Any suggestions concerning a pull-up screen?

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd be worried a gain of 2.2 would cause hot-spotting (center being brighter than the edges, like you're looking through a port hole). It might be just low enough that you won't notice it though. I'm using a DaLite Model B w/ Video Spectra 1.5 and i see no hot-spotting with very noticable brightness increase over matte white 1.0 gain.

As for other pull-up screens, I don't have any suggestions. You might also want to consider pull down screens that are integrated into a tripod type stand. I've seen these used in schools and offices on several occasions.

4. Jay Taylor

Thanks Stephen.

The longer I think about this the more I think I’d be better off abandoning the pull-up screen idea and getting a fixed screen to match whatever projector I decide upon. Then hang it from the cathedral ceiling with eye-hooks and find a place to stash the screen to make the living room look normal again.

Let me see, where can you stash a 100” screen without upsetting the wife?

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

The pull up screens are made very well and are of high quality parts......but....like Stephen said, the gain is pretty high. I have no idea why they would put that type of material on a insta THEATER screen. I think your idea of hanging the screen on eye hooks is a fine idea. I do that with my pulldown and just take it down when company comes over. Very high WAF!! When I get a fixed screen I plan on doing the same thing too.

6. Jay Taylor

That's two votes for the screen surface being the wrong material so I'm going to hang a fixed screen.

Thanks guys.

Now comes the fun part of deciding upon a projector and screen. I plan on putting in room blackout curtains.

The screen distance from viewer will be 11 feet.
    The distance from screen to projector will be 14 feet.
    The budget is ~$6,000.00 but could do more or less if the performance was good enough.
    I like dark blacks due to watching a lot of sci-fi flicks with dark space scenes.

Any suggestions on a projector & screen combo?