portable/recoradable minidisc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Broeska, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

hey guys,

i'm pretty sure there are some serious minidisc lovers here so i was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on some player/recorders out there. sony's new (?) "net md walkman" looks to be pretty cool, however my boss picked up a minidisc player/recorder last summer and it seemed pretty slow in trasferring media. according to sony's site, this new player is faster in transferring media.

are there any other manufacturers out there worth looking at? who makes the best portable player for the best price?

thanks everyone.

2. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I used to use a minidisc until I got the new Apple iPod. If you want to talk about speed, I can load 5 gigs of mp3s in about 10 minutes!

I loved my minidisc though (Sony RZ-55 was the model I think), it served very well (though the batteries didn't last long).

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Matt,
    Anything faster than real-time transfer is brand new on MD with the exception of some multi-CD / MD deck combinations have been able to do fast transfers. If you want to find out about the new Sony fast transfer formats I recommend reading up on www.minidisc.org . That's a great site. Also, www.minidisco.com is a great place to get gear. I used to love MD but I've starte dthe long arduous process of abandoning the format since it doesn't meet my needs. If I were portablizing MP3 I'd use MD out the gazoo, but I'm not doing that.

4. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys. i've checked out the ipod, but being a pc user that (for the time being) isn't an option. i'd rather not have to buy a firewire card and software to get it to work. it certainly looks like an amazing piece of hardware, though.
    and i'll check out those sites. thanks, philip.