Portable MP3 players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KyleC, Feb 9, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Can anyone recommend a good one? I want to use it for walking. I want one that handles MP3's and not WMA's or other formats that I would have to convert all my existing MP3s. I don't think I will need anything higher than 128MB, but I would like the option to upgrade if possible. Thanks.

2. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I have an I-River which holds 128 MB The model number is 380. It is long and narrow. It comes with a neck strap or you can buy an armband. I have no issues with it, holds about 30 songs. I uses it to exercise all the time.

Todd

3. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Apple ipod

4. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

Apple iPod.

If the cost of an iPod is a little tough to swallow, for what it's worth, my wife really likes her Samsung Yepp.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

For the record I bought my sister an iRiver CD player that decodes MP3/WMA. I plugged my headphones into it and the sound was putrid. I thought my Discman was only average but I respect it a lot more now. [​IMG] Returned it to Amazon and went Sony which she enjoys even though it doesn't play MP3.

If the SQ of their MP3 players are anything like that I'd stay away.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Scott: Wow, thats a surprising review... Ive heard nothing but great things bout the iRiver line of MP3CD players (at least all the ones above the iMP-350). Maybe it was the lower end iMP-50 or the ChromeX? Anyhow, im looking to replace my Pansonic MP3CD player with something nicer, and was looking for the SlimX 350. Hope i dont have the same experience...

For walking, and for the best bang-for-the-buck, i'd recommend an MP3CD player. Having ~100 songs, at 320kbps in one CD, for about $100 is great. I have my whole CD collection down to a 24 (unfortunately, i need a bigger CD wallet, i have 30 Mp3CDs now!) disc CD wallet. My cheap Panasonic one i bought a year and a half ago never skips at all, even during a brisk jog or bubling around in my school bag. Take that into consideration in your MP3 player search

7. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I was also thinking of the Iriver. I want an MP3 player that has FM tuner as well, and I read that the iriver can record FM which seemed nice. Anyone have the 300 series?

8. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

What about a Creative NOMAD? Or the RIO Cali?

9. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I bought my fiancee a Rio Cali 256 mb player - it seems like it's great.

I have an older RCA Lyra 2, which I really like because it has an FM radio in it, and uses Compact Flash chips for memory, so if I needed a lot of space, I could always use on of the big cards I use in my Digital Rebel.

My brother has a 20 GB Nomad, which is awesome for the car and travel, but I wouldn't keep it in a gym bag oe use it in any kind of inclement weather. I'd be too worried about moisture damaging the built in hard drive.