What's new

Portable MP3 player (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I went to Best Buy yesterday and almost bought the Iriver iFP-390T 256MB player. I don't have enough money for an IPod or the other GB capable players. I don't think I feel the need to bring my entire collection with me, just enough to do a workout, walk, or do my commute. I have a few questions first:

1) How is the radio in a suburb?
2) Most of my MP3s are 192Hz how much (time) can I store?
3) Is it expandable memory wise?
4) If not this brand/model do you suggest something similar in terms of price/storage?

Best Buy also carries Archos, MPIO, Philips, and RIO.

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I am no expert on this subject but I just purchased 2 of the Iriver iFP-190T 256MB for my kids so I have some experience with these types of devices. First the answers to your questions:

1. Radio works great. No different than any other portable radio.

2. Depends on the length of the songs but you can probably fit atleast 50 to 75 songs on the device.

3. The memory is not expandable on the 190 model and I'm fairly certain its the same on the 390.

4. I usually do very extensive homework before I buy anything and the Iriver was at the top of my list for a portable mp3 player.

Another suggestion I would upgrade the firmware on the device so you may use it for data as well as mp3's. Also, once you upgrade the firmware you can use windows explorer to copy and delete mp3's to and from the device. It is much easier than using the iriver software. Check here:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.asp

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
think about a minidisc setup. although just a bit larger than most mp3 players, ive never had problems when I bike or run with it. I take it to work and listen to.
even have my own little library of mixed minidiscs for biking.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I didn't even know they were still around. Do you have to get special equipment to copy onto them?

Another reason I wanted an MP3 player is some let you copy other files on there as well.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Do you have to get special equipment to copy onto them?
i use my computer but you can do line in recordings too. but I think you need a boost if you do a mic input

my old boss has an MP3 player/thumb drive wich is usb, those arre sweet but I never needed to copy files cause I just burn them at work.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Do you guys know approx how much the 256/512MB Irivers can hold with mp3's encoded at 192KHz?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
At 128Kbps MP3 takes 1MB per minute of audio, at 192Kbps MP3 takes 1.5MB per minute of audio. So rather than how many mp3's (they vary in length) you can calculate how much total time you could get with 192Kbps audio:
256MB = 256min@128Kbps, 170min@192Kbps
512MB = 512min@128Kbps, 340min@192Kbps

With 192Kbps MP3 thats about equivalent to the length of 3+ full regular audio CDs for the 256MB model and 6+ CDs for the 512MB model.
Divide these numbers by your typical song's length in minutes if you want.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
if you don't mind "Refurbished" electronic products www.ecost.com has the Refurbished Sony Net Mini-Disc Recorder model MZ-NF610 with AM/FM/TV Band & Weather Band with a transfer rate of 32x for $104.99 Delivered. On www.ecoustics.com shopping I fond one vendor that had it "New" & delivered for $131.98 Check www.crutchfield.com for full specs, pics & the cables that it comes with. Ecoustics also had some owner reviews on it.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Thanks for that info Don, that really helps alot. I dunno 3 hrs of music might be plenty for me. Although I might just save a little more and get the Iriver 20GB jukebox.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
If you are considering increasing your budget and purchasing a high-capacity player, visit this site for information: http://www.dapreview.com/news.php.

Of the current crop of players, none are perfect, but the iPod, the Dell DJ and the Rio Karma would comprise my short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks