What's new

Portable Headphones? (1 Viewer)

DavidBelis

Agent
First of all, is this the right place to be asking headphone questions, or is this board dedicated to speakers and woofers?

I don't see any other boards to ask headphone questions at HTF, nor do I ever seen any headphone discussions on this board.

I guess I'll ask.
Can someone recommend some good portable, inexpensive headphones for me?

I currently use Grado SR60s at home, but they're simply too fragile for portable use, plus, they're extremely open.

I'm looking for something that's good (in terms of sound quality, comfort and durability), that's less than, let's say $100 Canadian. (definitely less than $70 US, and preferably, less than $50 US).

It doesn't have to be 100% noise cancelling, just not as open as the Grados are. Also, like I said, I'd like something durable that can be thrown into a bag or luggage or something, without fear of it being destroyed.

I currently use the standard VMSS headphones that came with my Panasonic Shockwave Metal portable CD player, and they simply don't cut it for me. (maybe Ive been spoiled by the Grados).

So, do such headphones exist for about $50 US (the less expensive, the better, though)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
i have no idea about what's good now. i got a denon ahd-950 a while back. very good headphones. noticeably more/better bass than the sr60s, and more detailed too. they also are a bit more closed than the sr60s. though they are going for about $130 US last time i checked. a good site to check out is www.headphone.com

they have reviews and such. another good site is Link Removed

sorry i couldnt be of much help. i've had a great set of cans and just had to pimp them :P these sites should get you started though

Dave*WB

Auditioning
Go to Head-Fi.com .

They should be more than happy to help you out. That is all they talk about there, and that board is a little more active than headwize.

I am not an expert compared to most of the guys at head-fi, but the top brand name recomendations are usually:

Sennheiser
Grado
Beyerdynamic
Audio-Technica
Etymotic (Earphones)
Sony (Some are highly praised, others not so much)
AKG

also, the Koss Portapros seem to be a popular portable choice.

Good luck, Dave

Daniel T.

Agent
I've got a set of the MDR V700 Sonys. 150 bucks at Best Buy, but if ya dig around on the 'net (www.mysimon.com) I've seen em as low as 90. Good and powerful, clear and I use em to proof any tracks that I'm gonna burn to disc. They really reproduce sound well. Seem to sip batteries too, I can run my Clie' for a few hours with em on.

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the Sennheiser MX 500. They are an earbud style with surprisingly good sound. They can be purchasedhere
I use the Grado SR125 at home and though the MX500 do not sound as good they are more than adequate for traveling and will sound much better than the headphones that came with your Panasonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks