1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Portable Evaporative Swamp Coolers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Okay, this is basically a AC unit that is portable-free standing (no window) and no vent attachment to theoutside. My question is how good are these things? has anyone here have any experience with one of these? I have aroom in my basement that this would be ideal-I am running a dehumidifier now (wich workd well) but heats the room up some from its fan. I've been looking around my area but so far only Kmart seems to carry one of the units. Thanks
    Tim

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The main issue I've heard is the increased humidity from it...so you'll probably have to run it and the existing dehumidifier to balance out.

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

an evaporative cooler will not work if you have high humidity (which I am sure you do in your basement).

If you run that and a dehumidifier, all you will do is raise the temperature and humidity levels in your basement.

I have a floor unit in my basement. It uses a water tank to cool the freon. This evaporates the water. The waste heat and water is then vented outside using a dryer hose. It works very well, but you have to have the exhaust vent.

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Thanks for the advice-if it raises humidity levels then I will get some good fans for now-thanks again
    Tim