1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Portable DVD Power Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by West Johnson, Jul 16, 2001.

1. West Johnson

West Johnson Auditioning

I've purchased a Toshiba SD-P1500 portable DVD player that should arrive this week. My wife and I are taking the kids on a long car trip this weekend and I'd like to use a car DC adaptor to power the unit. Toshiba does not make one. My question is this: Let's say the unit (or the battery charger) is rated at 12VDC and 500mA. Do I risk damage to the unit (or battery) if the closet match I can find at RadioShack is 12VDC and 600mA. My thinking is that I need to match the voltage and be as close as possible to the current draw - and it is better to provide more than less...
    I also know I need to match the polarity of the plug. Any thoughts? I don't want to fry my new portable...
    ------------------

2. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

It's important to get a transformer that can handle the amperage. My old Panasonic player draws over 1amp (1000mA) which makes a car adapter a bit harder to find. I ended up buying a DC-AC converted instead so I could use the supplied AC adapter in the car.
    Bill

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I know that Radio Shack carries 12V car adapters rated up to 1000mA (I was looking for a high ampere rated one with a co-worker), and I believe the salesperson indicated that RS sold a 2000mA one as well (although they were out of stock). As long as the amp rating is higher that the drawing power of your player, you should be okay. However, I find it hard to believe that a portable DVD player would have an amp draw of only 500mA. Handheld color TV's require a 1000mA adapter.
    Check Radio Shack's website. It should list all the models they sell.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

4. West Johnson

West Johnson Auditioning

Okay - I found a bit more info from Toshiba. The SD-P1500 is rated at 12vdc and max current of 2 amps. RadioShack sells a car DC converter rated at 12vdc and up to 3 amps - so I should be okay, right?
    ------------------

5. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

That should work. You should also check out Walmart since they had a car adapter that was rated at 2000mA and was around $20. Don't know what the RS model goes for, but last time I was there their adapters were pretty expensive.
    Bill