Portable DVD Power Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by West Johnson, Jul 16, 2001.

1. West Johnson

West Johnson Auditioning

I've purchased a Toshiba SD-P1500 portable DVD player that should arrive this week. My wife and I are taking the kids on a long car trip this weekend and I'd like to use a car DC adaptor to power the unit. Toshiba does not make one. My question is this: Let's say the unit (or the battery charger) is rated at 12VDC and 500mA. Do I risk damage to the unit (or battery) if the closet match I can find at RadioShack is 12VDC and 600mA. My thinking is that I need to match the voltage and be as close as possible to the current draw - and it is better to provide more than less...
    I also know I need to match the polarity of the plug. Any thoughts? I don't want to fry my new portable...
    ------------------

2. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

It's important to get a transformer that can handle the amperage. My old Panasonic player draws over 1amp (1000mA) which makes a car adapter a bit harder to find. I ended up buying a DC-AC converted instead so I could use the supplied AC adapter in the car.
    Bill

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I know that Radio Shack carries 12V car adapters rated up to 1000mA (I was looking for a high ampere rated one with a co-worker), and I believe the salesperson indicated that RS sold a 2000mA one as well (although they were out of stock). As long as the amp rating is higher that the drawing power of your player, you should be okay. However, I find it hard to believe that a portable DVD player would have an amp draw of only 500mA. Handheld color TV's require a 1000mA adapter.
    Check Radio Shack's website. It should list all the models they sell.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

4. West Johnson

West Johnson Auditioning

Okay - I found a bit more info from Toshiba. The SD-P1500 is rated at 12vdc and max current of 2 amps. RadioShack sells a car DC converter rated at 12vdc and up to 3 amps - so I should be okay, right?
    ------------------

5. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

That should work. You should also check out Walmart since they had a car adapter that was rated at 2000mA and was around $20. Don't know what the RS model goes for, but last time I was there their adapters were pretty expensive.
    Bill