Portable DVD Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Gilbert, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Ron Gilbert

Ron Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

My apologies if this is old ground, but I would like some recommendations on portable DVD players. Failing that, at least some recommended sources for learning more about them, and which models are considered the best right now. My price range is anywhere up to $1500. This is supposed to be a gift, but I'm certainly not a shopper, so internet ordering will be my safest bet, though I will brave the wilds of the retail stores if necessary. Thanks!

2. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ron,

A number of choices out there ... different brands and models. Sharp has a few models that are good performers.

I know that costco has had a number of portables for a while now. Something to check out. You can also visit your local Best Buy or Ckt City to preview other brands/models.

Thanks,

Errol

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I own a Pioneer PDV-LC10, which has a 7-inch screen. At the time I purchased it (over a year ago), it (along with a comparable Panasonic) received the most favorable reviews. I believe that either Pioneer or Panasonic now sell a player with a 9-inch screen. Toshiba also offers a player with progressive scan output that some HTF members really liked.

My Pioneer has a very good picture with anamorphic material. Non-anamorphic widescreen material does not look very good when zoomed to fit the screen, though. I try to avoid taking this type of material when we travel.

You can probably find a 7-inch Pioneer or Panasonic online for $600 or less. IIRC, I paid less than $600 for mine. I have seen the 9-inch screens advertised for about $1,000.

4. Ron Gilbert

Thanks for the replies! I'll investigate the models suggested.

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

In that price range you can also pick up an Apple iBook with DVD drive. It's 12 inch XGA display will handily beat out any portable DVD player's screen in terms of size and clarity. The battery life is comparable and you end up with a full function laptop too boot. Four times the screen size is nothing to sneeze at.

6. Ray O

Ray O Extra

Hi Ron,

I picked up a new Pioneer PDV-LC20 on Ebay for $440US about a month ago. A great 7" screen picture, anamorphic is best of course. I had considered the LC10 but the battery pack is bulky on that unit. The LC20 is much thinner (about 1")with the battery attached, and only 2 lbs. Purchased an extra battery for $100, and a Panasonic portable dvd case to carry the player/accessories.

Regards...Ray

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Ron,
    If you want to become really fancy, you could go for the Sony FX1 from Techtronics in a region-free version :).
    They say that NASA also went for this unit for the astronauts on the International Space Station: http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/5...vd-player.html
    Surely a nice, er, toy, which I would buy, if I had the funds [​IMG].
    -Christian

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

One more suggestion is the Panasonic LA-85. Big screen, lightweight, long life battery and it gives you the chance to try out DVD-A on your primary system should you get the urge...

9. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Could someone tell me what the VCR mode is from that Techtronics website? Does this mean macrovision is bypassed??? The Sony FX1 is a beautiful unit and the battery lasts pretty long - 4.5 hours normally but there is a battery saving feature where the screen is not as bright and it lasts for 5 hrs. Cosmetically, also nice looking.

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Len,
    Yes, the VCR mode means Macrovision is switched off. Something that is one of the features basically all modified Sony players have, together with the fact that the user prohibitions are disabled, i.e. you can skip or at least fast forward any trailer, switch off forced subtitles and switch any soundtrack on the fly. That's why my next player will be a Sony again [​IMG].
    -Christian

11. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I've gotten hold of a sample DVD-LA95. This is Panasonic's replacement for the 85. It has DVD-Audio as well as MP3. It has a 9" screen. The beauty of this model is in the battery design. The battery has been incorporated into the hinge for the screen. It makes the unit exceptionally small. There is also an option to use the current DVD-LV70 battery to double your battery output. It snaps on the bottom of the unit just like on the DVD-LV70. You should be able to find this model for $999 or less.

12. Ron Gilbert

Too many choices!! I'm actually leaning towards the Apple or Pioneer[​IMG] I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!

13. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Ron:

One more recommendation for the Pioneer...I have had a Pioneer PDV-LC10 for the past year and a half and it has been flawless in performance and picture quality. I have been considering upgrading to the LC20 but will probably wait until it comes down in price.These are the greatest thing for those cross-country flights or having a portable along when you need it. Good luck

Ed -

14. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Um...what Guy said.

If you're going to spend the money, the iBook (or comparable PC laptop if there is one, hehe) would be my pick. At that dollar level, I would want something that is more than a one trick pony.

Apple is running a rebate of $100 bucks off so the model with the DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive is just slightly over your stated $1500 limit.

With a straight DVD drive, you would still have something left over for a movie or two.

Of course, that offer ends pretty soon (end of December I think)

My 2¢

15. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

$1500 is WAY too much to spend on JUST a DVD player, IMO. If it's a gift for someone special and you would like to spend that kind of money, I would definitely go to a notebook computer. I've got a Compaq 1800 and they come with a 15" UXGA (1600x1200) resolution screen. Very nice for DVD playback, Disqplay (a proprietary Compaq CD player without booting computer), and decent battery life (3 hours). With the price of computers right now compared to a stand alone DVD portable...I would go with the laptop. As low as $999 you can get one.

Good Luck

Jeremy

16. Joseph W

Joseph W Auditioning

Having read Guy Kuo's higher up in the thread, I was wondering the same thing (why a laptop wouldn't be a better choice). Now I see two more replys saying the same thing. The portable DVDs are smaller but the computers have bigger screen sizes (10" up to 15") so I would agree that money would be better spent on the laptop, even if only used for DVD playback. Anyone have a different opinion based on image quality or battery performance or ease of use?

Joe Hamman

17. bryan_chow

bryan_chow Agent

Well, with my portable DVD player it takes about 1 second before the movie starts playing - no booting or loading required!

Bryan

18. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

The key word is "portable." If you plan on travelling with it, it shouldn't be too heavy or flimsy. I guess some laptops with dvd players can be small but they can't beat the dedicated portable dvd players in terms of size.